Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
8,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still looking for an exceptional 69 Camaro. I've located an original Z with less than 23K miles. It still has the factory lacquer paint with NO door dings or damage other than a few rock chips on lower panels. It has never been restored.

My question is how straight were the body panels in 69 as far as waves, ripples, etc? This guys best friend owned the car for 30 years and has all documents to support all claims. My main concern is I'm pretty anal as far as body and paint go; I can do my own but am not in the mood for such a project.

Jody

·
Registered
312 Posts
expect some, as in any production car there is an alowable flaw margin. mainly in the roof is where i have seen wave's and the hood. next to the rear quarter panle's these are the bigist stamping's, also opening and closing the hood hard will cause it to wave, and just driving the car causes wave's in the roof as it is a big part of the chasie in a uni-body like the camaro.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Great question! I bought all new OEM sheetmetal for my '69. I noticed that it wasn't real straight, even right out of the original cartons. The areas around the jambs and seams were a little high as well in relation to the body of the panel - this made it hard to block sand the car. The shop I was working with kinda worked (pounded) down these areas so they didn't have to add filler, just use primer surfacer.

Look at new cars today (from Detroit at least). They can be a bit wavy and the door seams can be higher than the surrounding metal. And they've had 30 years to improve!

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

G

·
I do bodywork for a living and getting a new panel reguardless of the manufacturer that fits perfect is about one in ten. Dings and dents are normal for new parts mutch less one that is 30 years old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts