Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have glass fuel filter and this think is catching huge chunks of crud, i clean it out today and started it back up and it is full of junk again, so some how i need to clean out the tank, is this possible or do i need to replace it?

·
15,370 Posts
Bracksz28,
I'd drop it and clean it out. NO SMOKING! If the outside of the tank is in good condition and doesn't look rusted or damaged, you might be able to get away with a real good cleaning and sealing.
There's a bunch of products out there for cleaning\sealing fuel tanks. Check out your local auto parts stores. POR-15 makes a fuel tank cleaning\resealing prouct.

Also, your fuel lines might be the problem. They can get just as gunked up as the tank. Disconnect the fuel line(s) at both ends and drain what fuel you can into a can or something. NO SMOKING! If you have an air compressor, blow out the line with low pressure. Check it for outside corrosion. You may end up replacing the line(s) also if you're getting that much crud in the filter.

Good luck and remember..... NO SMOKING!

·
Retired
16,004 Posts
I pulled my tank just to clean up the undercoating that someone had sprayed on it, but I found instead a covered over patch of lead solder that previous owner fixed a hole with.
Look over your tank closely, if its had repair of seams or holes, consider throwing it away. New tanks are less than $200 and then you can clear coat them and paint the straps black and have a very nice looking tank from the back.

Just an idea, mine was also full of pieces of crud so the new tank served 2 purposes.
Good luck if you do as Joe mentioned, or replace it.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
While you're in there, get rid of that dang sock on the end of the pickup. I can't tell you how much greif that caused me latley.

Jim, what's up with the tag. Talk about having a screw loose. :D

Edit: Not sure if a '72 has that same sock filter thing-a-ma-jig

·
Retired
16,004 Posts
That was hanging by one bolt on the way to the paint prison, good eye.
:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts