Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to determine what type of alternator is on my '68 Camaro. It has no wires attached to it, the can runs off the battery. I don't know how to tell if it needs to be wired through the external regulator - or if it is a CS or SI interally regulated one. As you can imagine, the wiring in this car is a mess. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
32,521 Posts
An easy is to check the physical layout of the pins on the alternator.

If the pins are aligned like this "ll" on the rear, then it it is an external regulated alternator. Check for regulator under the washer bottle and/or bracket on the driver side of the radiator support.

If the pins are aligned like this "- -" on the side, then it is an internal regulated alternator. A 10SI will have a metal fan blade, or a 12SI, it will have a plastic fan blade.

If the pins are aligned like this
and the access is on the side, it is a CS130 alternator, internally regulated.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
913 Posts
Redundant at this point but maybe useful to some. There's a great visual and technical breakdown on GM ALTERNATORS over on the MAD Electrical Site. And this little visual is helpful too.

Thats a graphic that is buried in the AAW catalogs somewhere. I have read that some GM brands had internally regulated alternators as early as 1969, but I can't confirm that. I think it might of started in 1970-1972?

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts