Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m using Lemans Blue in spray can from Paint Scratch. I already painted the Cowl and it came out great. I tried to fix a crack on the nose of the hood and taped off a section to prime, after I sanded it and spray the base I can see a tape line where the primer stopped.
What to do?
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Road surface

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did. I blended the base further up, but the tape line is visible.
Do I sand that area only or use rubbing compound?

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
I get it now. That line will not likely disappear without sanding it all back down. Should have been feathered in instead of taped off.
JMHO

·
Super Moderator
33,186 Posts
An older painter shown me in applying paper with tape is stick the edge of tape onto surface, then roll paper back giving the tape a full radius and rolled edge towards the going-to-be surface. No line.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Totally incorrect procedure and preparation. Blend and clear the entire panel. Why did you not sand out the hard line? You did not use fine line tape either. That's for starters. Camaro Guy is wrong. We don't use blending reducer in basecoat in my business. Nobody I know who owns a shop has these problems.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did sand out the tape line, well I thought I did.
I eventuly sanded the line down again. Scuffed up where I sprayed and repainted, blending towards the upper part of the blue stripe

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
Never tape around primer. Unfortunately it has to be block sanded.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately we learn from our mistakes.
I understand what your saying.

should I spray the entire center strip or blend into it?

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
Yes we learn from our mistakes for sure. I would block the primed area , then scuff the entire area, prime again, wet sand, then spray the base .

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
I think you’ll need to sand and then compound the peel but I somehow doubt you have adequate paint thickness given you used rattle can paint.

Don

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
I guess I can wet sand it, then try to buff
Is it a metallic color? You can’t sand metallic paint. What you spray is what you got. Metallic colors should be clear coated if you want to cut and buff it.

Don

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
My advice is 1000 dry because dry will let you see when the peel is gone without going too far. Then 1500, 3000 wet. Three coats of rattle can clear is not a lot of paint. Easy does it….

Don

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Should I spray more coats of clear?
If not, I’ll let it cure overnight and go at it tomorrow.
Thank you for your advise 👍

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
Should I spray more coats of clear?
If not, I’ll let it cure overnight and go at it tomorrow.
Thank you for your advise 👍
That is hard to answer. I would be tempered to give it another couple of coats.

Don

1 - 20 of 27 Posts