Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought a crate engine 350 recently. I also found some double hump heads for a good price locally. They look pretty good, just a bit dusty. My first thought is to take them to a machine shop and have them go over them before I install them but I don't want to pay some yahoo hundreds of dollars to do nothing.
What can I do at home? check valves for leaks? clean them up? How do I verify that the seats are good for unleaded gas?

·
14,115 Posts
If the heads do not have hardened seats they need to. Also valve guides may be worn. Valve stem seals.

This assumes heads have no cracks, have not been milled and have good valves and springs. No striped bolt holes and the rocker studs are solid

My recent experience with DH heads has men if they need rebuilt it's more cost effective to just go with new alum heads.

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
Another word of caution, depending on the year of the heads they may not have bolt holes drilled for accessories (67 and earlier = no holes)

Without pulling all the valves and checking guides, etc, it's hard to know what you are getting.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are 1967 with no bolt holes..
I may be better off selling them and getting some aftermarket heads....

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
One quick and easy thing you can do is to fill the ports with solvent or diesel to see if the valves leak. It will only tell you if the seats are working, of course, but if they are good it's a good sign to proceed digging.

·
Premium Member
1968 Z28
617 Posts
Magnaflux and pressure test them too.
X2...this should be step #1. If they fail this test, there is no need to spend any more money on them. Then you can use them for boat anchors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts