Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to install spark plug wires on a SBC that currently has no wires? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Don't be surprised if the length fouls you up and you have to rearrange the wires some once you get them on. It can be tricky. It's much easier when you have the wires already on the car because you can pair up the new longest with the old longest and new shortest with old shortest etc. So start with your best guess based on the diagram Skip posted and tweak the arrangement as needed.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I have never brought a pre made set
I buy the Dizzy and plug clips ..the latter some angle some straight
And new boots
I then purchase the right length plus a bit more of the HT lead, an insist that I roll it off the coil and cut.
Put the dizzy clips boots on one at a time and lay out to each cylinder starting with the rear plugs.
Once I have them laying right in the lead clips, I then cut to length, put the boot on, the end clips
If u have the Dizzy set to factory #1 on the front vac advance pointing to the front edge of the tyre...they all come off the dizzy in order and tidy...low down cross the HT leads both sides at the rear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Start by checking to make sure the number one cylinder is at top dead center on the compression stroke. You can do this by cranking it over by hand while watching the intake valve open and then close, as it closes continue turning the engine over untill the timing marks are lined up. You are now at TDC on number one cylinder. The distirubutor rotor is now pointing to the number one cylinder. Place the plug wire from that dist tower to number one plug. Continue installing plugs wires moving around the distributor in a clockwise direction. Install the plugs by following the engine firing order, yours is 18436572. Good luck and make sure you use some premium plugs like Autolite XP Iriduims.:beers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts