Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to loosen a frozen nut on the flared end of a PS hose. I have the unit off the car and the tube held in a vise but when I try to twist it it wants to twist the tube. I've soked it good in rust breaker for days but it won't give. Can I use a propane torch? I've never done that. Is PS fluid flammable?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Heat the tube up until it is too hot to touch and then melt a piece of wax into the threads and the tube (behind the nut).

Works for me!

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Ussually I just wait long enough for it to bee cool enough to touch (not cold). I did this on some trans cooler lines and I just wiggled the wrench back and forth and then turned.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Hate to say it but maybe you ought to just pinch the line and cut it. Then you can get a 6 point socket on it and it will come off easier. If it already has twisted a little the tubing is already distorted and may leak when you put it back together anyway.

Don't do the torch man!

Good luck - those can be knuckle busters.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
have you tried throwing stuff and shouting every "forbidden" word you can think of as loud as you can, a few times over? usually, right after you do this and somehow hurt yourself, it will come right out.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

[This message has been edited by novaderrik (edited 03-09-2002).]

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by novaderrik:
have you tried throwing stuff and shouting every "forbidden" word you can think of as loud as you can, a few times over? usually, right after you do this and somehow hurt yourself, it will come right out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but you'll throw and break something much more expensive during the tirade . . . at least that's what happens to me.
LOL

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FREE at last, FREE at last, Praise God almighty I'm FREE at last.
I tried it all. I stuck the end in a can of water I had boiled on the stove. No luck. I brought the unit into the house and held it in a pan of water and boiled it for 5 minutes. No luck. So I put the torch to the fitting and kept wiggling it until it start to move a little then I sweated candle wax just like you would sweat copper pipe and eventually it freed up completely.
It doesn't seem to have hurt the pressed on fittings. I guess I'll find out when I put it back on.
Thanks everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.