Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to loosen a frozen nut on the flared end of a PS hose. I have the unit off the car and the tube held in a vise but when I try to twist it it wants to twist the tube. I've soked it good in rust breaker for days but it won't give. Can I use a propane torch? I've never done that. Is PS fluid flammable?

·
Registered
820 Posts
it has a higher flashpoint, but like any petroleum product, yes its flammible, you can probably use the torch just fine though providing you dont bake the crap out of it,. otherwise you will just melt the fittings out of the hose..

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Heat the tube up until it is too hot to touch and then melt a piece of wax into the threads and the tube (behind the nut).

Works for me!

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Ussually I just wait long enough for it to bee cool enough to touch (not cold). I did this on some trans cooler lines and I just wiggled the wrench back and forth and then turned.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Hate to say it but maybe you ought to just pinch the line and cut it. Then you can get a 6 point socket on it and it will come off easier. If it already has twisted a little the tubing is already distorted and may leak when you put it back together anyway.

Don't do the torch man!

Good luck - those can be knuckle busters.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
have you tried throwing stuff and shouting every "forbidden" word you can think of as loud as you can, a few times over? usually, right after you do this and somehow hurt yourself, it will come right out.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

[This message has been edited by novaderrik (edited 03-09-2002).]

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Why not just put the fitting into a can of boiling water for three or four minutes. It will come apart-- simple

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by novaderrik:
have you tried throwing stuff and shouting every "forbidden" word you can think of as loud as you can, a few times over? usually, right after you do this and somehow hurt yourself, it will come right out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but you'll throw and break something much more expensive during the tirade . . . at least that's what happens to me.
LOL

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FREE at last, FREE at last, Praise God almighty I'm FREE at last.
I tried it all. I stuck the end in a can of water I had boiled on the stove. No luck. I brought the unit into the house and held it in a pan of water and boiled it for 5 minutes. No luck. So I put the torch to the fitting and kept wiggling it until it start to move a little then I sweated candle wax just like you would sweat copper pipe and eventually it freed up completely.
It doesn't seem to have hurt the pressed on fittings. I guess I'll find out when I put it back on.
Thanks everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts