Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a full resto on my '69, at home, on weekends.
Everything is sanded down to bare metal and I've just remounted the deck lid, door hinges/pin, doors, sub-frame and front clip.
It took me a long time testing different size shims, but I am very excited about my straight lines, door alignment and door-fender gaps, etc.

Next, I need to dismantle it all for primer, sanding and paint.

:nerd: What is the pro-trick to getting everything (easily/quickly) remounted back exactly like this after paint?
Should I... take detailed notes? video/photos? drill holes? scratch marks? set punch? spray paint?
Would love to hear about your tricks.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,067 Posts
Many pics for sure. Video if possible. Detailed notes. Tape or bag shim packs together and label
them for location. That's important because not all shims stamped the same measure the same.
Some drill 1/8" holes in the door hinges. Reassemble after priming to verify everything. Correct
anything that may need to be. Blow it apart again, paint and finale assembly. That's my suggestions.
I assume you have already rebuilt the door hinges. And hood hinges if needed.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I usually leave the doors on as that is the hardest for me to align after priming. Keep in mind that is how the factory did it and it lasted all these years. I attach the trunk as well. I know most guys prime and paint each piece apart. If you do like to paint piece meal, you will still need to do it all over again. There is no easy way when it comes to alignment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts