Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one properly prepare (prime) and color interior plastic pieces? Specifically, I want to repaint/dye the kickpanels and seatbacks (original metal) on my 67 in Bright Blue.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The most important step is the first step, you need to give the part a 'tooth' so the paint will stick. As far as the seat backs go(and the easiest)all I did was glass bead them cause you dont want to destroy the texture of them, spray a zinc enriched self etch on it them follow up with normal refinish procedures. The kick panels are some what the same. Im going to lightly glass bead mine(Ive done this with plastic grills before and seems to work)so as to give it a tooth, use a plastic cleaner to clean it, plastic adhesion promotor and a urethane sealer with a bit of flex additive in it, and then depending on what paint you use(Ive got DuPont)tell the paint people that you want it for interior use. The color should be made with a vinyl resin. If you use a scotch brite to give your kick panels a tooth, go easy on them. you dont want to destroy the texture of them.

Jim

·
Registered
820 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try using vinyl spray made by SEM = got mine at the auto paint store. Just wipe the kick, seat, or plastic down well with lacquer thinner and spray. I've used it for years, and it lasts for years.

[This message has been edited by white rs/ss (edited 05-14-2000).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts