Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching the posts here to find out how to pull codes on my 1995 that has the OBDII 16 pin connector. The only link that I have found so far is to the BAT website that shows how to jumper a 12 pin connector for the OBD1 setup. Anyone have the link or know what two pins I can jumper to read my SES light?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
the 16 pin connector is obd2. you need a scan tool to pull codes out of it.
:yes: - if you don't have or want to buy a OBDII scanner, go to you local chain parts store and they will pull the codes for you and give you a list ...

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Some 1995 cars were built with the obd2 connector but had obd 1 systems. The parts store is a good idea.
He had another thread on this.

It's a 95 GM car, it has an ODB1 computer with an ODB2 harness and connector.
It's gonna be a beetch to read.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Some 1995 cars were built with the obd2 connector but had obd 1 systems. The parts store is a good idea.
Yup - all 1995 GM cars sold originally in California, and a few other places, that required tighter smog emissions controls.
This was refered to as OBD1.5 by some sources ;)

Now the fun part - almost all good OBDII scanners will actually read the codes from them.
The 'catch' is you may not find the a pre-programmed screen for that vehicle.
No biggy, just go to the set-up screen and manually enter the year and vehicle info and then do a scan - viola :thumbsup: it will read the codes, and you can print them out if you have the interface, like places like AutoZone and the other do ...
Iffn' the new-kid at the local parts place doesn't know how his scanner really works, this is a great opportunity to 'edjumacate' him with the above procedure - and he'll probably be the manager next time you go back :rolleyes:

My scanner will read all OBDI and OBDII codes - depending on the cable you use.
The software is updatable over the net every year also.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input fellas. I do have an OBDII scanner that would not read the codes, it would just give me the error message. It is a basic Actron model, and the instruction manual doesn't cover any reprogramming so I don't think it is possible with this model. I did call my local Autozone and they told me they had two ways to read codes on a 1995. Since it was a transition year they have a "key" that will read the codes if the OBDII scanner won't. I just assumed that the "key" they were referring to was a jumper that would flash the codes and was trying to save a trip to the store if I could jumper the two correct pins myself, but maybe it is not as simple as that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts