Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When my car was converted to HEI the original resitance wire ignition lead was clipped off and a section of primary wire was crimped to it. I wanted to replace the whole lead with a new, clean, wire.

I pulled the connector from the firewall and was expecting to see Packard 56 blade type connectors. That wasn't the case. Can anyone tell me:

1. What the connector type is that's used in the 67 so that I can order some, and

2. How can I remove the lead without damaging the fuse block?

Thanks!

-Louie

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I did some rewiring last year and with the fuse block you have to use a real small screwdriver...almost like an eyeglasses screwdriver, but longer...some mini screwdriver sets have a small enough one as the smallest one in the set.

Using the screwdriver you have to go in the connecting end and bend in the sides of each lead...there's a little tang on each side of the lead. It's tricky and mine was full of dilectric grease so it can be a guessing game. Once in a while you have to try and pull out the lead to see....it may take a while to get the hang of it. I actually scraped off plastic enlarging the lead hole, not good, but I was lucky that when I put the new leads and fuse block back together they all held, whew. I had a pic somewhere of how to do it, can't find it....if find it will upload to you.

Dunno the naming of the connector type...you may want to contact American Auto Wire http://www.americanautowire.com .

Gordon

SS396 67 TH400

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Gordon!

I'll check with American Autowire and see if they sell replacement pins.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Hey Louie,

I found an oil pressure switch wire with fuse block connector on it and took pix.... there's actually 3 tangs, not the 2 as mentioned before.... one tang on top of the connector and one on each side....

Gordon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
When I replaced the resistance wire on my 67, I took the connecter out of the fuse block by flattening the tabs on the terminal like Gordon described. Then i carefully pried open the factory crimp and removed the end of the resistance wire. I cleaned the terminal and bent the tabs (crimp) over the new 14 gage wire, soldered it in place followed by some adhesive lined shrink tube. Then opened up the lock tabs on the terminal and plugged it back in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts