Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1968 Camaro with 7100 miles since full restoration. New interior including new dash and aftermarket instruments. There is an incessant squeak, like crickets do in the evening, every time the car senses any minor bump on the road. If I push on the dash near the wiper/headlight switches, it stops. I assume it's the Left Hand dash mounting points that need tightening. Anyone experience this? Can I get to those mounts without disassembling the whole console?

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
You can try to tighten the screws in the dash pad and the instrument carrier. Don't break the plastic.
Spedo cables have been known to do that but pushing on the dash probably negates that.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Are you pushing on the metal dash face or the dash pad? Process of elimination. We are not there, can't hear it, and can't put our hands on it. If you put your mind to it you can figure it out. You might have to remove some parts to do so. I'm assuming you bought this car and did not build it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've often thought about using a fairly thin rubber washer on the main attaching points on the dash carrier(69) to cushion the plastic/ metal mounting points. If I ever take it apart again I'll probably try it.
My dash pad near the center speaker was driving me nuts at times because there was a occasional rattle, I just ended up putting a small piece if bubble wrap under the original dash pad to cushion it, so far so good.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
When reassembling I used the fuzzy side of stick on black velcro at every location I thought there would be friction movement. Never had a problem squeak.

Fuzzy velcro also works great applied in the gauge light housings where GM had stick on foam to stop light leaks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you pushing on the metal dash face or the dash pad? Process of elimination. We are not there, can't hear it, and can't put our hands on it. If you put your mind to it you can figure it out. You might have to remove some parts to do so. I'm assuming you bought this car and did not build it.
That is correct, I bought the car post restoration. I'm pushing forward on the metal face at the wiper and headlight switches. It's not the switches because holding the switches doesn't stop the squeak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts