Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS clone, 383 stroker, Viper Fuel injection, 700AR, SSBS four wheel discs
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1968 Camaro with 7100 miles since full restoration. New interior including new dash and aftermarket instruments. There is an incessant squeak, like crickets do in the evening, every time the car senses any minor bump on the road. If I push on the dash near the wiper/headlight switches, it stops. I assume it's the Left Hand dash mounting points that need tightening. Anyone experience this? Can I get to those mounts without disassembling the whole console?

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
You can try to tighten the screws in the dash pad and the instrument carrier. Don't break the plastic.
Spedo cables have been known to do that but pushing on the dash probably negates that.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Are you pushing on the metal dash face or the dash pad? Process of elimination. We are not there, can't hear it, and can't put our hands on it. If you put your mind to it you can figure it out. You might have to remove some parts to do so. I'm assuming you bought this car and did not build it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've often thought about using a fairly thin rubber washer on the main attaching points on the dash carrier(69) to cushion the plastic/ metal mounting points. If I ever take it apart again I'll probably try it.
My dash pad near the center speaker was driving me nuts at times because there was a occasional rattle, I just ended up putting a small piece if bubble wrap under the original dash pad to cushion it, so far so good.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
When reassembling I used the fuzzy side of stick on black velcro at every location I thought there would be friction movement. Never had a problem squeak.

Fuzzy velcro also works great applied in the gauge light housings where GM had stick on foam to stop light leaks.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS clone, 383 stroker, Viper Fuel injection, 700AR, SSBS four wheel discs
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you pushing on the metal dash face or the dash pad? Process of elimination. We are not there, can't hear it, and can't put our hands on it. If you put your mind to it you can figure it out. You might have to remove some parts to do so. I'm assuming you bought this car and did not build it.
That is correct, I bought the car post restoration. I'm pushing forward on the metal face at the wiper and headlight switches. It's not the switches because holding the switches doesn't stop the squeak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally had the chance to strip the instrument panel to chase this squeak and it turns out its coming from the windshield, adjacent the driver's door post. Probably don't have a choice but to remove and re-install it correctly to eliminate the noise.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Finally had the chance to strip the instrument panel to chase this squeak and it turns out its coming from the windshield, adjacent the driver's door post. Probably don't have a choice but to remove and re-install it correctly to eliminate the noise.
Is there any leak? Seems like if it was moving it would leak. If not leaking then maybe just a little caulk in an unseen place may be better that r & r windshield. I know a nice new restoration probably doesn't go out in the rain or even get wet washed much. But it seems to squeak the windshield or the dash would have to move. If no leak something to dampen it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update on the squeak, I disassembled the dashboard on the driver side to chase this noise and it turns out it was the windshield. I took the car to the auto glass shop, they removed and re-installed it and now the squeak is gone! AHHHHHHH.... Heaven!!!

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Quick update on the squeak, I disassembled the dashboard on the driver side to chase this noise and it turns out it was the windshield. I took the car to the auto glass shop, they removed and re-installed it and now the squeak is gone! AHHHHHHH.... Heaven!!!
? You have sub frame connectors and solid body bushings?

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Eliminate a lot of body twist. No twisty no squeakie.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I put in solid body mounts (Global West) and frame connectors (Hotchkis) about a month ago.
It definitely tightened things up. I haven't figured out a fix yet for the squeak in my deluxe seat belt buckles. They squeak when they're in place on the console holders.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
I put in solid body mounts (Global West) and frame connectors (Hotchkis) about a month ago.
It definitely tightened things up. I haven't figured out a fix yet for the squeak in my deluxe seat belt buckles. They squeak when they're in place on the console holders.
Have another beer and think about it. Then put your seat belt on while driving. LOL

Reactions: 69Z28

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
LOL, I do but if I'm alone I put the pass side belt on the floor. It's more a rattle than a squeak.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
LOL, I do but if I'm alone I put the pass side belt on the floor. It's more a rattle than a squeak.
Stuff a rag in it to take up the extra space.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts