Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dash thats in good shape except faded.. i think its OEM since I heard only OEM has metal i them (can tell its metal since its slightly rusty)and that the reproduction ones use plastic..

Is this the case? if its OEM i will most likely just get some good vinal dye..

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the dash pad in my 69.. if you look underneath its got metal inserts sorta molded into the dashpad.. Ive heard the reproduction ones use plastic (sorta like the repro door panels) to stiffen the dash.

If I have an OEM one I will just vinal paint it since the repro one's fit is dodgy at best..

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Steve I replaced my oem dash pad with a OER Reproduction (gm tooling) and its an EXCELLENT FIT, just as good as the original. Differences I see is the previous one had all metal when looking underneith, where as the new one is all plastic underneith. Both use the metal tongues to clip it into the dash.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Brian Lewis:
Steve I replaced my oem dash pad with a OER Reproduction (gm tooling) and its an EXCELLENT FIT, just as good as the original. Differences I see is the previous one had all metal when looking underneith, where as the new one is all plastic underneith. Both use the metal tongues to clip it into the dash.
THANKS!!
-- i just figure if my OEM dash is NOT cracked then why not use it.. The right vinal paint works great and i have no worries on fit..

Thanks again..

·
15,376 Posts
I wonder how long ago replacement dash pads were first made available? Does anyone know if GM or anyone else always offered them, or was it an item that wasn't reproduced until long after '69?
The pad I took out of mine is totally whipped, curled, and broken and the inner structure is 100% plastic. I can tell it's many years old and there's not a number to be found on it which leads me to believe it's not GM.
??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts