Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 camaro with 350/420hp ,a th350 with a 2400 sall converter. What mods could I make to the car/drivetrain to make the front end leave the ground? And still be streetable? Is it possible?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Fill the trunk with bags of sand, get some slicks, gears and a 4500 stall converter and you'll be set.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what should the gear ratio in the rear +(the car is going to be more for show and criuseing around with my friends 48' chevy short bed and 66' stang and lifted 85 f150 rather then local Maple Grove). So it needs to be driveable in traffic/hiway. p.s. were all 16-19 years old and do all our own work.(not ur avrage teens!)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had difficulty lifting the wheels on my last car.. that had coil overs / ladder bars, big slicks, tubbed, big block and ran 10.4's on the street w/ a 5000 stall. My goal was not to have a wheelie car, since all that energy is wasted lifting up the tires. Plus... police dont like seeing wheelies from a stop light... ha

·
Registered
652 Posts
I had difficulty lifting the wheels on my last car.. that had coil overs / ladder bars, big slicks, tubbed, big block and ran 10.4's on the street w/ a 5000 stall. My goal was not to have a wheelie car, since all that energy is wasted lifting up the tires. Plus... police dont like seeing wheelies from a stop light... ha
I wonder just how mad a cop would be if he seen a camaro pullin a wheelie down broadway. :noway:

Oh, and 79Powerhouse, I knew you were under 20 when I seen the thread. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wouldn't hang around to find out. Hope the road stays real straight for a long time cuz you better not lift. Who knows, maybe he'd be impressed.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I saw a "Pro engineered" 3rd gen Camaro at the Car Craft Summer Nats.

It was able to pull the front wheels with just a blip of the throttle. Pretty impressive when you cruise the fairgrounds. Of course with a blown BBC set back in a full tube chassis, it better do something. ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
While it's difficult, it's not impossible to do wheelies on the street. :hurray: I built this panel truck back in the 70's. At the time of this shot it was powered by a 331 SBC, Hilborn stack injection, rock crusher 4 speed & 12 bolt posi' rear with 4:10 gear. It weighed about 3,200 lbs. Not too different than a Camaro. O.K. there was a 12'' engine set-back too. :D I quickly switched to a Holley carb. cuz' the injection was not too street friendly. Later went to a BBC. Went faster, but that was the end of the wheelies. :mad:

·
Registered
236 Posts
GEAR RATIO!!!

I've seen mid 12 second NHRA Stock Eliminator cars pull the wheels pretty good.

2.75+ 1st gear in the trans, 4.88+ gears in the rear and a 5000+ stall converter will get the job done assuming you can stick it to the track.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts