Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to have a rearend built for my 69 Big Block camaro. It's supercharged and has about 750+ HP. It has a 10 bolt with drum brakes now, no posi, it is stock. It is all torqued up and trashed, now my car sits and waits for a new rearend. Need some advice!

12 bolt or 9 bolt?

What type of axles?

Which type of posi unit?

Gears I'm set on either 3:55s or 3:73s.

How much do you think your build will cost?

Thanks for the info.....

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I would get one of the new Moser 12-bolt rear ends. I'm sure they can build you something that will outlast the rest of your car. They advertize in all of the mags and I'm sure they have a web site. I would give them a call and see what they recommend. They sell complete rear ends with whatever you want and can even add Ford ends to the axle tubes you don't have to use c-clip eliminators.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ford 9"; detroit locker; then you can run 3.50's on the street, 4.10 or steeper for the track. Use a back braced housing, Also the axels don't use c-clips, a lot safer, and you can easily go to big axels, 31, 33, 35, 40 spline, etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
either a 12 bolt or 9 inch ford make the most
sense probably.
for a street driver,a locker and 31 spline
axles.for a strip car,a spool and 35 spline
axles.use a billet yoke for the 1350 u-joint.probably around $2000. in either case.
Moser Engineering can set you up with either
setup including nodular or aluminum center sections.

------------------
'86 Firebird,ladder bar
suspension,9 inch ford w/4.56,10 point,440 bbc,
400 manual valve/brake.

'86 3/4 ton 4 wd 454/400 turbo

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I have a complete 9" Ford with the nodular case, Daytona pinion housing, Traction Lock, 3.50 gears, Moser 31 spline axles and 3" studs that was in a '69 Camaro. It is 58 inches wide, 2 less than a stock Camaro rear end. It has been sand blasted, but not painted. I would like to sell it for $900 as is. E-mail me if you are interested.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Like everyone said, you should look at a ford 9" or a Chevy 12-bolt. The 9-inch is cheaper to build strong enough to hold up to the power you have. But if you can't handle the thought of Ford putting your Chevy horses to the pavement, then its time for 12 bolt. I agree Moser is nice stuff, Also nice, but even more expensive, is Mark Willams. Both showed up with giant displays at this weekends NHRA event at Englishtown. I’m going with Mark Williams’s stuff …because my drag racing friends say it’s the best. I don’t have the Hp you do, but I’ll be using a stock Chevy 12-bolt, and the following Mark Williams stuff: 33-spline axles, housing ends, and bearing caps according to the Mark Williams rep, this should easily be good for 10’s…which is faster than I’ll ever go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts