Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here handy with HP Tuners and willing to give a little help? Over on the HP Tuners site it's all a big secret:) I have another month before i bring in my LS swap to the tuners. I used another program in the pass and wanted to give HP a try....well it's a whole new learning experience and want to get the car into at least a safe state to drive it a little before the summer is gone. If anyone here is willing to help i'll PM you my phone number.

·
14,281 Posts
Do you have HP?

Call Mike Norris Motorsports. He can email you a base tune. Flash your ECM do data logging at idle and at 2500 for a few minutes. Send him the log file. He'll make adjustments and email it back. Repeat a couple times and you'll be good.

If you want to learn to tune yourself contact The Tuning School.

I use HP and am comfortable making minor adjustments, fan temps, idle speeds and a bunch of other stuff but I don't get into fuel trims or spark curves

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL....i'm just about were you are with my HP. Is that what you did? How important would you think a only road driven car get a dyno tune??

Do you have HP?

Call Mike Norris Motorsports. He can email you a base tune. Flash your ECM do data logging at idle and at 2500 for a few minutes. Send him the log file. He'll make adjustments and email it back. Repeat a couple times and you'll be good.

If you want to learn to tune yourself contact The Tuning School.

I use HP and am comfortable making minor adjustments, fan temps, idle speeds and a bunch of other stuff but I don't get into fuel trims or spark curves

·
14,281 Posts
I know how to do more with HP but I don't have a wide band and I don't feel like wrecking a $15K motor to save $400.

What's your motor build?

If you don't have anything crazy or a monster cam I would go with the base tune and then like I mentioned email the data logs to Mike.

We just did a 70 Camaro with a mildly built LQ4 with Mike. The guy is really happy.

One suggestion if you don't already do it. Always save the last tune as a new file (I name mine by date and the new one TEST) before you make changes so you can go back to it if the changes you make don't accomplish what you want.

You can use the history function too but it's easy to lose track when you're playing around.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just called Mike....what a nice guy! Thanks for the help John!!
The motor is a stock lower lq9, comp cam lsr273, ls3 heads, ls3 intake, ls3 injectors, 92mm nick williams tb cable and a spectrum CAI.

I know how to do more with HP but I don't have a wide band and I don't feel like wrecking a $15K motor to save $400.

What's your motor build?

If you don't have anything crazy or a monster cam I would go with the base tune and then like I mentioned email the data logs to Mike.

We just did a 70 Camaro with a mildly built LQ4 with Mike. The guy is really happy.

One suggestion if you don't already do it. Always save the last tune as a new file (I name mine by date and the new one TEST) before you make changes so you can go back to it if the changes you make don't accomplish what you want.

You can use the history function too but it's easy to lose track when you're playing around.

·
14,281 Posts
Just called Mike....what a nice guy! Thanks for the help John!!
The motor is a stock lower lq9, comp cam lsr273, ls3 heads, ls3 intake, ls3 injectors, 92mm nick williams tb cable and a spectrum CAI.
That's almost the exact same build as we are doing on my kids car.

We did mill the heads for a little higher compression and fly cut the pistons for valve clearance.

Let me know how the tune works out.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do John.....you must be going with a little bigger cam to have to fly cut the pistons. I'm right on the edge with the cam in my car....so with a little milling the fly cutting would be needed. My build is under 10 compression, if i did it again i would of put a set of worked over 243's with a bigger cam...oh well next time:D

That's almost the exact same build as we are doing on my kids car.

We did mill the heads for a little higher compression and fly cut the pistons for valve clearance.

Let me know how the tune works out.

·
14,281 Posts
Will do John.....you must be going with a little bigger cam to have to fly cut the pistons. I'm right on the edge with the cam in my car....so with a little milling the fly cutting would be needed. My build is under 10 compression, if i did it again i would of put a set of worked over 243's with a bigger cam...oh well next time:D
The LS3 heads are way better then 243s and they really don't need any work.

.30 off the LS3 heads and a little bigger cam so we cut the piston very slightly.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
My build is under 10 compression, if i did it again i would of put a set of worked over 243's with a bigger cam...oh well next time:D
The LS3 heads are way better then 243s and they really don't work.
I think that's a bit over generalized. Don was talking about a set of "worked over" 243's, not stock heads.

I have a set of ported 243's on my 6.0 that will easily outflow a set of stock LS3 heads. However, if I already had a set of LS3's then a simple milling would bring the compression up and save a lot of money.

·
14,281 Posts
I think that's a bit over generalized. Don was talking about a set of "worked over" 243's, not stock heads.

I have a set of ported 243's on my 6.0 that will easily outflow a set of stock LS3 heads. However, if I already had a set of LS3's then a simple milling would bring the compression up and save a lot of money.
Typo.

I was saying the LS3 Heads don't need any work Lol

243s are fine. We've run them on our C5 Vettes with bigger cam and blowers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts