Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 SS/RS 454/460 HP 4 speed camaro. Shifter is adjusted right.
The problem is when I really hammer the gears. The shifter hangs up. Does Hurst make a replacement shifter for the 67 that does not use the u-bolt around the tailshaft?

·
Super Moderator
33,267 Posts
Hurst has always used the U-bolt around the tailshaft exrtension for mounting.

This way the shifter mechanism moves with the trans case. You say you have it adjusted correctly.

Remove the shift rods from the from the shift arms in neutral position, insert the 1/4 inch pin throught the body seating it all the way through, adjust the shift rods for slip fit into the shift arms.

Another trick you might do is replace the driver side soft engine mount with a solid mount.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everett, I had done what you sugested the Last time with the tranny out of the car. Shifted fine while on the bench. Installed, it worked ok at 4,500 rpms Next try was at 6,000 rpm shifted semi-fast worked ok. Took it up to 6,000 slammed 2nd & 3rd. Thank GOD for the rev limiter Missed 2nd & 3rd twice. I have solid mounts I am still using the small block motor mounts and pedal to fork hardware and tranny mount and cross member.
I ordered an M22 from Auto Gear yesterday. I would like to get this problem resolved before I install it. Any more ideas?

·
Super Moderator
33,267 Posts
Reads like you've done your shifter well.

Your problem is the synchronizing assemblies with rings need to be replaced. Then fill trans with synthetic lube, I would suggest 75W80.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everett, thanks for the input. Will pull tranny saturday. Check it out. I plan on putting it in my 55 Chevy.
I called Auto Gear today. THE M22 will be here Monday. Once it's installed. It will let me know if the shifter is at fault, Do you know if the 68-69 shifters will work in the 67 with out the u-bolt?

·
Super Moderator
33,267 Posts
I would believe the shifter would work on a '67. Hurst relied on the trans model rather than car model.

The U-bolt holds the rear of the plate to the trans. If you don't have one, see an exhaust shop or order one or two from www.mcmaster-carr.com. I wouldn't leave home without it.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Hurst made many different adaptor plates that bolt on to the trans between shifter and trans. If your trans has the taped holes you should be able to use a shifter adapter plate that bolts on and does not use the U bolt.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The problem is the shifter. Let me guess, you've got the Comp Plus?

The only real solution is the Super Shifter/3. You can believe me now or fight the problem for a year on the track like I did and then try it and become a believer yourself. ;)

Seriously, I talked with Hurst about this after having my Comp + rebuilt and after time it continually would get hung in 2nd gear on the drag strip when being abused.

The SS/3 is way superior, shorter throw, reverse lockout, straight linkage rods, and more. Only problem is you really have to mangle the trans tunnel to make the thing fit.

Do a search on this site or chevelles.com for "super shifter 3" and I'm sure you'll find more.

-gw

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gwarren, It is a comp +. I would like to have the SS/3 shifter, but I have a console and the Camaro has 63,000 original miles.
I see you race your 67 Camaro. What are you using for traction control? To get the 60' times to 1.665

[ 04-17-2003, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Fast67 ]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fast67, forget the ss/3 if you want to keep your console. Sounds like you already know that the two will never work together.

Traction is aided by slicks, caltracs, moroso trick springs, adjustable shocks.

Good luck, brother.

-gw

·
Registered
68 Posts
Everett, I had done what you sugested the Last time with the tranny out of the car. Shifted fine while on the bench. Installed, it worked ok at 4,500 rpms Next try was at 6,000 rpm shifted semi-fast worked ok. Took it up to 6,000 slammed 2nd & 3rd. Thank GOD for the rev limiter Missed 2nd & 3rd twice. I have solid mounts I am still using the small block motor mounts and pedal to fork hardware and tranny mount and cross member.
I ordered an M22 from Auto Gear yesterday. I would like to get this problem resolved before I install it. Any more ideas?
If you are using the crossmember from your sb you need to get the BB one . your driveline is not straight . Are the chassis mounts BB???

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
710 Posts
Yes this is getting very annoying. Developers need to do something like make it "read only" after a certain period of inactivity.
I think the root cause of this is when the format of the board changes, a bunch of ancient threads started showing up as being recent. So, we read and reply to them before realizing they are over a decade old.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.