Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 ragtop with the original 210 hp motor and Saginaw trans. This summer I'm going to do intake, carb and headers just to make it a little more fun. I'll mothball all original parts.

I like the 3 speed, but would prefer shorter throws during my shifting. But I don't want to drop the $ for a Muncie 4 speed. I figured I could get a Hurst shifter for the car and get what I'm looking for.

But Hurst no longer makes the aftermarket linkage/shifter for my car. I've talked to them and visited their website. They have shifters/kits for my Saginaw, but none to fit the old Camaro (not counting the "Indy" which is a universal and junk according to them).

Is there an OEM Hurst shifter/kit that will fit my car? I want to retain the stock appearance and don't want to hack up the car.

Or should I just hold out and save for the Muncie 4 speed?

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking, is your car an original 3-speed floor shift? I have a 68 that was a 6 cyl 3 speed on the floor and I swapped it for a muncie. I still have the saginaw and shifter. I'm not sure I want to part with it yet but I can answer any questions. I remember the shifter bolts onto the cross member.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wondering if there is an aftermarket shifter that will fit my floor shift 3 speed Saginaw.

I'm trying to get shorter throws and better shifting. But the only aftermarket I've found is no longer available from Hurst.

So I guess I need to save for the Muncie 4 speed. Any thoughts or advice?

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Yeah, now I remember that 3 speed having a long shifting pattern. Do you have the problem I had? - I kept trying to down shift from 1st to reverse. Ouch. That's when I decided the 4 speed was a must. Other than the cross memeber being a bear to get out (had to cut off the bolts) the only probmel I ran into was I eventually had to order a new (longer) speedo cable. The orginal streched far enough at first but went wacko pretty quick. The muncie I bought had the cable come in on the other side.
Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts