Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2.5 ton Penske floor jack I bought from Kmart for trucks & suvs about a year ago.

All of a sudden the ram isn't holding. I'll pump it up a couple times and the spring will retract the ram slowly. After a few more pumps however, now it starts holding and I can jack the car up fine. What gives?!

I've already checked the fluid level, okay, and I've tried bleeding the air out of the system.

Any suggestions? There is a adjustment screw that says do not adjust. What is that for?

Dave

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
that adjustment screw is for adjusting the safety level of maximum pressure.

if there gets to much pressure on the jack, it will stop raising.

if you adjust that , the weakest spot would be the jack itself!!

So: "do not adjust,please"!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It sounds like the check valve is not seating right away. Could be because fluid has become too "thick", dirt or just a defective seat. Try a fluid change, if that doesn't help do like someone suggested and take it back to Wal Mart

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response.

Actually, Kmart was my first stop. They no longer carry that brand....figures. I no longer have the receipt either!

The jack says technology by MVP and I was able to find someone at MVP to offer some suggestions. He said it sounds like dirt is caught in the check valve and described a backflush procedure to try which you basically close the valve and manually lift the jack by the saddle so that it forces at LOT of fluid past the check valve. Afterwhich, replace the hydraulic oil. So I will give that a shot.

Dave

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KZ,

Haven't started the bushings yet. I still need to buy them. I'm currently focusing on the engine then I will turn my attention to the bushings.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts