Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i'm a member from England with a 327 68 Camaro with a strange noise! Basically it sounds like all lifters rattling when backing of the throttle. If i apply slight throttle noise backs right off. Noise is def top end somewhere. Engine is standard spec with good oil pressure, any ideas before i start stripping it down.
Cheers...............Tim

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Is this on the road or stationary?
Have you a mechanics stethoscope they are only a few bucks
If backing off lifters till clack then tighten till no clack then 1/2 to 3/4 turn more dosent stop it...I would suspect detoation either from a curve to fast advamce or total too high or to miuch advance in the VA
Or a tappit is just touchiing the valve cover..inspect ..even with a magnificing glass
Or and this usually is real hard to trace the sound, a collapsed piston skirt ot cracked piston...both usually caused by too much adavance on a cold start.
The above one can hear with a mechanivs stethoscope, but tracing gets confusing, then put the car on a hoist and check the side of the block from underneath...usually one can hear it a little clearer normal underneath at certain rpms and load.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the replies, the lifters and camshaft are fairly new but will try adjusting again to see if that cures the noise. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Could it be the throwout bearing if it's a standard shift car?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts