Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I just purchased a new motor and I was told by the builder to let it run for 20 minutes then tighten the valves. The builder never explained to me to what? Where should I set hydro valves to what spec. I called the builder and they have not gotten back to me yet. Can you guys help me. I will compare what you guys say to what they tell me once they repond. I trust you guys more anyway:)

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Re: hydrolic lifters

A few words of caution!!!! Break in (and run) with an oil containing zinc. Most of the passenger car oils have removed zinc for environmental reasons, which is OK for roller lifters, but disasterous for flat tappets. (ask me how I know....I've got my 500 mile 427 ready to pull due to wiped cam lobe.)

Do a search on Yenko.net, and maybe here, too, regarding good oil choices. I know Rotello (for diesels) still contains the zinc, as well as some other "off road only" oils.

As for setting valves, do a search on setting them. There are lots of experienced contributors, that can help you more than I can.

·
20,699 Posts

As above use a good oil and maybe a can of EOS from GM dealer and run at 2000-2500 and vary the RPM's in that area, no steady speed, watch temp., shut down and change oil and filter. Drive easy for 500miles.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

If they're hydraulics and the builder did his work correctly then you shouldn't have to adjust them after break in because there shouldn't be much wear on them. If they get noisy during break in that is not a good sign.
Since you had to ask this question, which is a smart thing to do if you aren't sure about breakin and adjustment procedures, I would HIGHLY suggest that you have a knowledgable friend help you out with this procedure. There are several ways to adjust hyd. lifters
including with the engine running and not running.
It's not hard but it can be confusing at first and this is no place to make a mistake, see Unreal's post above.
Have someone show you the first time and you will be all set from there.

The easiest and messiest way to adjust hydraulics is with the car warmed up and idling. Remove 1 valve cover and put a set of oil deflector clips on the rockers. These can be purchased at most auto supply stores. Back off the rocker nut on a valve until you hear it clack, clack,clack. Now slowly tighten the nut only until it goes quiet. Now turn the nut another 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and you are all set. Move to the next rocker and do the same. THIS IS A MESSY process but works well. An old valve cover with the top cut off helps control the oil mess. DO NOT REV the engine with a valve cover off. With a good oil pump it is truly amazing how far the oil can shoot ;)

·
Premium Member
835 Posts

On a new motor or a newly rebuilt motor, it's the cam you have to worry about breaking in, not valves or lifters. As was mentioned previously, let the motor run for at least 20 minutes, not dropping under 2000 rpm. That helps make sure the cam bearings are all good and lubed.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

It's the cam AND the lifters. When you wipe a cam, the lifters are trashed as well. Hopefully this isn't something that Ron will find out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.