Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of using a hydraulic roller cam in my 565" motor and was wondering if anyone here has used one from Lunati or Howards cams as they seem to be good quality also.

The howards kits, which is cam and lifters are priced right, so was leaning that way.

Also, if you guys want to lend a "sugestion" for a "Mildish street cam with good vacuum and a limit of 5800 to 6000 rpm,,,please do so!

Here is a quick run down of what I have:

COMPRESSION: 9.56.1 (low,but for procharger next year and have cam for that already)

AFR HEADS: 325 with cnc chambers

Again, just want to drive car so cam cant be huge! And 6000 max rpm is plenty for now.

So if you got an idea or have a hyd roller in your big motor, let me know!

Thanks in advance....Dave.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a comp 566/566 in mine , 427 works great you could go one more but you will start to push the vacumn borders

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Both are good companies. You need to personally talk to some one that can give you a good recommendation.
You need to tell the tech person exactly what your motor has and what you will be doing with the car or because someone has one just like it..
Worst you can do is just pick a cam out of the book and install. I have dealt with both companies.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Cam manufacturers are knowledgeable, but techs are often just going by the book in front of them.

Its not every day that a customer is building a 565 monster... that's different from needing a cam for a 350. The large cube engines often like different valve timing events & lobe separation than more common builds.

I suggest contacting a company than builds big cube street engines.
They should have dyno results of many engines similar to yours.
You may pay a few $$ more from them but it would eliminate trial & error, or undesirable results.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replys!

I have done some research and although its a bigish motor, a cam maybe in the low to mid 240's @.050 with high 500's to low 600 lift seems to be what some of the guys are using on sites like "team chevelle" and "yellow bullet" for "street driving".

This will be a cam just for street so i dont care about going past 5800 honestly.

I do have a small solid roller in there now, an old chet herbert grind...about mid 240's @.050 and 648 lift and have been using that cam for 14 yrs. NO probs what so ever.

Just want to give a Hydraulic Roller a try.

I may call on "Chris Straub" for his reconmendation, as he is very well liked on all the sites i have been on!

Thanks for your input ! Dave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts