Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have perfectly good working power 4-wheel Disc's. Stock front and '79 T/A rear. But I am considering converting to hydro-boost. I think I have cabin fever and want to add something to the Camaro before spring. Is it worth adding?

Thanks
Mat

·
20,713 Posts
My '05 Silverado2500 HD has it and Vs. the '00 Silverado1500 brakes I really like it. I can't say how they are in a Camaro but I think you would like.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
That would depend upon whether your cam is letting you generate enough vacuum to allow a standard large diameter vacuum assist brake booster or a slightly smaller diameter dual vacuum assist brake booster work properly. If you are low on vacuum then I would try either an electric vacuum pump off of a diesel GM pick-up truck or at least a vacuum accumulator if you drive a lot on the street. In other words; if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Larger Dave

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
The electric vacuum pump can meet all of your needs if you'd want to go that way. Cheaper, and easier to install than a Hydro-Boost. Usually the 10 (there were not to many 10 series with a diesel engine) and 20 series got the electric vacuum pump. The 30 series and heavier duty got the Hydro-Boost up until they got to air brakes (depending upon GVW of vehicle and trailer if sporting a trailering package).

Larger Dave

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,710 Posts
Another vote for hydroboost. I got mine from hydratech also. It stops alot better than with the old vacuum booster, plus it cleans up the engine compartment alot.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I got my hydroboost from Paul at Hydratech too. I still have some issues to sort out from my rear disc swap, but the hydroboost works great. I went with it for clearance.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just had to install the hydroboost, I because I was looking for a project more than the need to. The verdict is that it does provide a hard to describe firmer or harder or stiffer pedal compared to the vacuum booster without an increase in how hard you press on the pedal. Since I only spent $40.00 to do this it was worth it. Otherwise I would only do it if I had no vacuum because I believe it is a better installation than either a vacuum pump or canister.:thumbsup:

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be honest I actually spent more because I bought more fluid than I used and some fittings that did not work' but the actual cost of what I used was the $40.00. If I went on pick n pulls 1/2 off day it could have been less and I'm not sure if they should have charged for hoses, but they didn't.

Pick-N pull sells the booster from an astro van for $19.99 plus tax, core, entrance fee and environmental fee $30.00 total. I grabbed all the hoses with the booster.

I used a 3/8" compression fitting that was in the surplus drawer and by bending, cutting and flaring able to connect the booster plumbing.
I could not find a 3/8" hose tee locally so I made one from the surplus drawer.

I modified the astro mounting plate to fit the camaro and used 4 special nuts from Home Depot for $.081 each.
a quart of fluid for $4.99.

After driving some more I do like it.

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
hmmm. i have an Astro van that i might part out if it doesn't sell pretty quick.
i'm thinking of saving the AWD setup, too..
an AWD Monte Carlo with hydroboost brakes would be pretty different, eh?

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I got mine off of a late 70's El Dorado. I used it as a core to buy a new rebuilt one from my local parts store. I then sent it to hydrotech to change the firewall mount to work with my 67 Firebird. Still not installed but fits nice and gives me a cleaner look. My cam would not have made enough vacuum to keep my booster running.

As a side note. The late 70's Caddies used the same single pistin calipers that came on the second gen F-bodies. Both front and rear. The rear had e-brakes built into the calipers. So the conversion has been pretty easy. I used my old calipers I got years agon for the front. I purchased a set of new Seville rear clipers. I then found a good used combination bvalve off a late 70's Eldorado. So all the parts are basically from the same system so should work well together. Only issue may be a custom length mid cable for the ebrake system. Won't know for a few more months. A friend of mine did the same conversion I did. Except his car was all together so he's done. The difference is amazing. It's almost too much brake for these cars. But they do stop better. And this route was pretty cheap overall.

Just my .02 on this topic.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Only issue may be a custom length mid cable for the ebrake system.
True, you have to shorten the cable to use the rear discs. I have seville rear discs on my car and four piston calipers up front with the hydroboost. I just clipped the cable, took it to the hardware store and they crimped on a new cable stop....Done!!

As far as brake pedal effort....You don't dare stomp on the pedal as they will lock up instantly....just a light touch with the big toe brings her down to a stop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts