Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO -- I built a Big mean BBC Stroker but the one thing it dose not have is Vacuum... As a result my brakes are kinda not great. I know there are pumps & tanks but I am considering a Hydroboost setup. I like the Idea of the Hydroboost but I am wanting to know what you guys think about it? Have you installed one? Do you have a recommendation on which one is best? DO they work as advertised? Any help / advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, Cory C

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes they work as advertised and if you drove some of the late model GM's trucks and vans equipped with them you may have even driven some of them without even knowing it.From the driver's seat unless you're really experienced its hard to tell the difference between a vacuum booster and a hydroboost system.
The thing you should look for is it a whole kit ? and what else does that kit need to retrofit it to your Camaro.If yours is an early model Camaro PS pump that is the one thing you should make sure to replace it with a late model pump that puts out more pressure than the early pumps.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My pump has bin upgraded to Put out more Pressure already. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: 71350SS

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
309 Posts
My 68 had a CPP hydroboost on it when I bought it last year. Works very well, normal driving its toe pressure only on low speed driving. My PS pump is a Saginaw (nut on keyed shaft) with a remote reservoir. I like it, it works fine. Put in for same no vacuum, now Im building the motor with a cam that makes adequate vacuum.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My 68 had a CPP hydroboost on it when I bought it last year. Works very well, normal driving its toe pressure only on low speed driving. My PS pump is a Saginaw (nut on keyed shaft) with a remote reservoir. I like it, it works fine. Put in for same no vacuum, now Im building the motor with a cam that makes adequate vacuum.
I just did the same thing LOL, my previous cam made 6.5" of vacuum. The new one(without tuning a thing and using the tune from my old cam) makes 12!

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I have low vacuum with my ZZ427, power brakes were terrible. I went with Hydratech Braking Systems, now my brakes work great! Talk to Jim at Hydratech about your applaction, he will go over the PSI and GPM needed from your steering pump. The remote reservoir I used was from Concept One.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the Link.

This is the only way to go.

No lines to the PS pump. Simple clean install.

[/URL]
This is not what I am looking for but thank you!

I honestly Like the LOOK of the CPP Kit. I like some of the features of the Performance Online kit. I need to do More research!
Might even have to call a few people and ask some questions! Thank you for the Advice Guys. Seems like there are many systems to choose from.

PS -- Is it me or dose CPP site SUCK to navigate threw?

·
15,104 Posts
CPP would not be one of my considerations for brake system components.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
151 Posts
CPP site does suck. The people on the other end of the phone, not so much. Nevertheless, Wilwood is several weeks on backorder for everything. My brakes are 5 weeks out. I ordered the same Midnight series in hopes that it's still a good unit with a Wilwood MC. Cheaper than Hydratech. I can buy two Hydoboosts for the cost of the electric one.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a basically new Right Stuff setup - so If I go with Performance Online I would just buy the basic setup and use the MC I got now. I like the Angle change on the Performance Mounts. As for CPP -- Ilike that WIlwood MC and not sure what I would do with the Adjustable Valve? Its also a Nicer finish for sure larger piston in the MC also

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for the Link.

This is not what I am looking for but thank you!

I honestly Like the LOOK of the CPP Kit. I like some of the features of the Performance Online kit. I need to do More research!
Might even have to call a few people and ask some questions! Thank you for the Advice Guys. Seems like there are many systems to choose from.

PS -- Is it me or dose CPP site SUCK to navigate threw?
The POL kit can sometimes go on sale for 20 percent off. I picked up mine plus hoses for a little over 600 when they were doing a sale.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The POL kit can sometimes go on sale for 20 percent off. I picked up mine plus hoses for a little over 600 when they were doing a sale.
If I could find me one of them 20% off sales I would jump on that. I kinda Like that Blackout set up they got =). I like the Bling lol.

PS Not for nothing - BUT, that Master that came with my Right Stuff setup is crapped out. SO not only dose the Booster not work but the master basically dose not work either!!! Defiantly time for an Upgrade. Stupid thing went bad just sitting There.......

Reactions: 68rs76z28

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is mine on my Corvette. I had to go this route because of the larger valve covers, not low vacuum. It was easy to install. It's from Hydro-boost.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is mine on my Corvette. I had to go this route because of the larger valve covers, not low vacuum. It was easy to install. It's from Hydro-boost. View attachment 273584
How long have you had it? Its tuff to decide which system to go with...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts