Team Camaro Tech banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,435 Posts
What about these PRW water pumps? Reverse rotation.

Don

·
Premium Member
5,435 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
420 Posts
Out of stock
Yeah thats been the same for almost all Edelbrock inventory since November of last year. Made it difficult to build an engine to say the least.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
OK, After talking with Concept One, and TuffStuff, (Edelbrock is closed until Monday with the move) the consensus is the 1" spacer puts way too much end load on the water pump when using a fan clutch. Both said they've seen this happen but only when using a spacer and a fan clutch.
I ordered an Edelbrock 8854 which is the same except not polished. Paid the $33 for overnight delivery so i'd have it back on the road by the weekend.
Going to try it without the spacer and see if it effects the cooling. I'll keep y'all updated.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
348 Posts
Ya think this might cause some vibration??

Fired the car up, engine sounds good and normal then I saw the fan pully wobbling so shut it down. Didn't know if maybe the pulley had cracked or what and didn't want it to come apart. Took the fan and clutch off and then the pully, The damn hub spun on the water pump shaft.. wtf???
That is wild LOL, I have thrown MANY belts before but never had that.

Is that an aluminum water pump? I heard those can crack at high RPM with a fan clutch

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
348 Posts
OK, After talking with Concept One, and TuffStuff, (Edelbrock is closed until Monday with the move) the consensus is the 1" spacer puts way too much end load on the water pump when using a fan clutch. Both said they've seen this happen but only when using a spacer and a fan clutch.
I ordered an Edelbrock 8854 which is the same except not polished. Paid the $33 for overnight delivery so i'd have it back on the road by the weekend.
Going to try it without the spacer and see if it effects the cooling. I'll keep y'all updated.
Oh yep, I have seen that before. Had a friend's crack the snout. Never thought anything of something like that until Is aw it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Yes, Aluminum pump, And the bad new is, I can not run it without a spacer. The fan will hit the A/C compressor if it's not spaced out far enough. I might be able to shorten it a little and get away with a 1/2" spacer, definitely could go 3/4" instead of the 1".
20210724_094941 (1) by F G, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
5,435 Posts
Deleted

Don

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,348 Posts
I would suspect that every quarter inch matters based on the length of the "lever" and the leverage it puts on the base of the pump shaft at very high, sudden RPM changes. Be that as it may, next time could have parts banging around under the hood rather than just wobbling. I think I am with John on this one.

·
Premium Member
5,435 Posts
Using the tensioner that came with the C1 kit. It's spring loaded
Ya I got confused between you car and another one on here with the old school belt adjustment. I guess you saw my response before I deleted it. You are on your game… :)

Don

• Haha
Reactions: Just 1 More

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
348 Posts
I'm not sure I could have hit it better if I had actually tried

Inked20210724_140128_LI by F G, on Flickr
Ouch what's that from?
Time for aluminum and electric fans
I get the want for mechanical, just get a good electric fan set up and you're golden.
My 489 stays cool with DeWitt and 2 12 inch spal fans I bought used for 400 bucks.
I wouldn't mind a new brushless set up but it's expensive!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Ouch what's that from?
Time for aluminum and electric fans
I get the want for mechanical, just get a good electric fan set up and you're golden.
My 489 stays cool with DeWitt and 2 12 inch spal fans I bought used for 400 bucks.
I wouldn't mind a new brushless set up but it's expensive!
I was cutting the Gates Power grip clamp off the heater hose and slipped with the razor knife... slipped bad 😖
And that's my brand new Cold Case Aluminum Radiator

·
Registered
1968 Camaro 1975 camaro
348 Posts
I was cutting the Gates Power grip clamp off the heater hose and slipped with the razor knife... slipped bad 😖
And that's my brand new Cold Case Aluminum Radiator
Dang I hope you didn't cut yourself! Are they that hard to cut? I was thinking of ordering a set 😳

41 - 60 of 93 Posts