Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left the parking brake on by accident. The light wasn't on and buy the time I smelled brakes I had already drove a while. Now the pedal is very soft. I feel like an ***.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Ahhh, that unique scent. Welcome to the club. If it hasn't returned to normal after fully cooling offf, you may need to bleed the brake fluid. If it isn't quite fresh, you boiled the snot out of it. I like Castrol LMA myself. DOT4.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Good idea to bleed the brakes as suggestion. An adustment of the rear brakes might help also. You'll have to spin the star wheel a turn or so. Another option is to apply the brakes while rolling backwards in reverse. Just depends on how far out of whack it is. The soft pedal could be the new found slack in the rear.

-dnult

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I let it sit and cool for an hour and took it out again. The pedal feels fine now and there is plenty of fluid in the master cylinder.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
You still might want to bleed the brakes, purge the system of that old fluid, you could have boiled it and severely reduced it's lifespan, it wouldn't hurt, I think I would........KZ

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pardon my ignorance here... Could someone explain how the brake fluid would boil if the mechanical parking brake was accidental left on? Just trying to understand....

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Sure, the rear drum shoes are locked in place and are slipping against the drums while driving which makes them really hot!!

They then transfer the heat to the push pins that fit into the brake cylinders which in turn make the brake cylinder AND internal brake fluid hot as all get-out if left on long enough!!

Same thing can happen on the fronts if either the shoes or pads stick!! But mostly this happens from E-brake application.. pdq67

1 - 8 of 8 Posts