Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of restoring my standard steering column I noticed that my ignition tumbler turns with or without my key. Is the cylinder just shot and need to be replaced? I would like to use the same key and not have to re key the doors as well. Thanks for any info

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Actually the ignition and doors use the same key in 69 (square head) and the glove box and trunk used the same key (oval head). I just had "Hugger_Sixty_Nine" (Hi Graeme)
match my ignition and door locks. Very reasonable. Check him out he might be able to help you.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Square key is only for ignition, oval is for doors, glovebox, and trunk. Its how my 69 was when I bought it and its how the all new key kit is that I bought to give the car all new locks.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I’m not sure about the 69s but in 67-68 the keys were hexagonal and round.
The hexagonal key, as per the owner’s manual; fits the ignition, door lock, and tailgate. The round key fits all other locks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is the column in the locked position,all rods hooked up for the reverse lock out.Maybe the column below the key area needs to be turned ccw to the locked position?

·
Registered
97 Posts
If the key cylinder is shot, just take it to a locksmith along with the key & he'll repair the cylinder so u can use the same key. If u need a new cylinder u can buy one at pep boys or where ever & still take to a locksmith to have it reset to your key.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the helpful replies. I don't know how the locks came in 69. I know that my square key fits the doors and ignition, and the round fits the glove box and trunk. Maybe someone changed the car to that setup.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Like I said in my earlier post... in 69 the door and ignition use the same square key and the glove box and trunk use the oval key.

;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I concur with 69Z28.... Square for Door and Ignition and Oval for Glove and Trunk.

·
Premium Member
6,538 Posts
That is correct for 1969. The square key is for the ignition and doors and the round/oval key is for the trunk and glovebox.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts