Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team, my camaro is driving me crazy.

First I changed the battery since it would not start multiple times in a row (ok)
Second, I changed the starter since when it got hot the solenoid would stick, by the way it had one of those high speed torque starters for a 350 stock (went back to original)?

Now, I cant even get the engine to turn over. I charged the battery bit it will not turn over, the funny thing is that my after market radio with presets go brain dead after I try to start the engine (what is the problem???)

Thanks Vinny

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I agree with Dan. Even thought the cables may look okay, they corrode on the inside and will result in increased resistance especially when hot. Replace your positive and negative cable along with the motor to chassis ground straps. If you want to take no chances do what I did and add another battery type ground strap from motor to chassis just to help complete the circuit.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Clean your grounds, battery terminals, and starter connections. If you replace your cables get good 2 gauge ones, not the cheap 4 gauge ones.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Clean your grounds, battery terminals, and starter connections. If you replace your cables get good 2 gauge ones, not the cheap 4 gauge ones.
X2-start with the basics. Get a cheap meter or light and see what your voltage actually is. Sounds like you can break this problem down into two parts, starter circuit for the engine not turning over and the ignition circuit for not running.
Get it turning over consistently first. What ignition system are you running?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Oh and one more thing if you went "back" to GM style starter you need the yellow wire. The one not being used for the mini. I chased a similar prob come to find out it was the horn relay showing 12v one day and 10.2 v the next day!

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Oh and one more thing if you went "back" to GM style starter you need the yellow wire. The one not being used for the mini. I chased a similar prob come to find out it was the horn relay showing 12v one day and 10.2 v the next day!
Yellow wire is 12 volt bypass to coil, only required with points type ignition. It only has power when solenoid is engaged and only put 12 volts to coil while cranking, after runnig voltage is lower.

Jeff

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yellow wire is 12 volt bypass to coil, only required with points type ignition. It only has power when solenoid is engaged and only put 12 volts to coil while cranking, after runnig voltage is lower.

Jeff
Shoot sorry I must of had an 80s flash back when I wrote that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts