Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many control arm shims do I put on each side....I dont knows where they all came from :(. Im trying to find my dial caliper to find out sizes they are and how many of each I have...

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
There is no correct amount to put on each side , the amount and thickness required at each control arm is based on how many are required to obtain the correct alignment specs for the car .

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
the shims are random to straight out the front end. you could put them in to get a good guestamate on the alignment. than bring it to a shop to get it right.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the quick reply, was waiting to put on my spindles. Sigh. Well I guess I cant hurt it then...Ok lets hope I dont kill myself with the springs lol.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Wait....a vision.....I'm seeing a flatbed in your future.

j/k

You may be alright getting it to the shop without shims as long as you get the tires aimed straight. To get mine close, I centered the steering wheel then laid underneath the control arm. Then I took a four foot level (a straight board works too) and put it against the brake disc. Then I cranked the tie rod adjustment sleeve until the level was aimed straight down parallel to the rocker panel. You have to kinda hold your head up and look down the level/board like you're sighting a rifle. It actually drove pretty good like that to the shop....I wrapped my shims in masking tape and marked them when I took them out.

·
Premium Member
5,283 Posts
Camber=inward or outward tilt of the tire at the top.
caster=forward or backward tilt of the spindle at the top.
To get camber in the ball park put a torpedo level against the rotor or drum and set it to plumb (zero camber) with the weight on the wheel (or as close as you can simulate). It's possible to set caster with a angle finder on the spindle, you would want as much positive(toward the driver at the top) as practical while maintaining camber. Toe in can be ball parked by eye by sighting the front tire sidewall straight to the back tires, check it with a tape if ya want.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. This is sort of confusing me because I dont know how many to add with my measurements...sigh. Right now I am trying to get the coil springs in there seats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts