Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
> For example, while removing a caliper for repair, you need to disconnect the brake hose, and it immediately starts to drip brake fluid. If you didn't notice and do something, the master cylinder can drain all the way, and get trapped air. I've used clamps, & even vise grip pliers to crimp the hose, but that's not adequate, specially if the lines are braided. Well, ± a week ago, I was replacing the original brake rubber hoses for braided ones, on a 06 Charger RT, and while checking the service manual for that car, I found what seems to be a simple solution to this dripping.
"2. Using a brake pedal holding tool, depress brake
pedal past its first inch of travel and hold it in this
position. Holding pedal in this position will isolate
master cylinder from hydraulic brake system and
will not allow brake fluid to drain out of brake fluid
reservoir while brake lines are open."
> It worked perfectly, with no fluid mess coming out from the open lines. I haven't used this method on my Camaro, or any other of my cars but, have any of you ever tried this? Will this work on any car? This have bothered me for years, and I can't believe such a simple solution do the trick. BTW, my pedal holding tool was a piece of 1"X 3" cut to fit the need.;)

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
X2^ I use vac lines plugs. Push the fitting back a bit and slide the plug over the line. Just don't push the pedel after that 'cause we all know what would happen.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL For years I've tried several sealing techniques, but by the time I find the correct size plug or cap, the mess is already developed. In this hobby, aka side job, one works with dif. cars, from 50s to late models, & not all lines accept the same plug.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
It's definitely worth trying, and thanks for posting it. The golf tee works great stuffed into the flared end of brake tubing, but I've never tried it on the banjo end of a flex line. That's where I always break out the plastic pop bottle and the duct tape, and work fast!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts