Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so here's the deal. I'm looking to get into a 17" set of wheels, and a little later I'll be going with disc brakes all the way around. My car is set up with a re-fitted 12 bolt out of a Chevelle, so it's about an inch wider than stock. Therefore, obviously, I can't use "out of the box" '69 Camaro measurements (which I hear is a bad idea anyway).
I got under there with a tape measure, and what I came up with was a 17x9" rim with 5.5" backspacing. However, in looking through the various combos in the sticky thread, I see a ton of guys running a 9.5" wide rim with a 5.5" backspacing. It seems to me that since I have a wider rearend, I should be able to run a similar rim width, but with more backspacing to fill up the wheel well (in theory, anyway). Can anyone help me understand?

On a separate note, running a non-stock rearend certainly limits your choices on wheels, unless you pony up the extra bucks for custom configurations!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is the 12 bolt one inch wider on each side or total? If total, then you need to adjust your backspace by .500" on each side, meaning you would need a 9.5 with a 6" backspace.
Follow?

If it is 1" wider on each side, then adjust the backspace by 1", so 6.5" on a 9.5" wheel. Now remember, when you are measuring wheel widths are always (ALWAYS) 1" wider than what is stated because the wheel beads are not included, so a 9.5" wheel will measure 10.5" overall. Backspace and front space however is computed from the very edge of the wheel. So a 9.5" wheel with a 5.5" backspace, will have a 5" front space.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts