Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy from Texas hit the "Buy it Now" button and wants to drive up here this weekend and drive it back...:noway: He's waiting for a check from Capitol Auto Finance to bring with and pay for it...:confused: Did I not make it clear in the ad that it needs to be paid for BEFORE it leaves here ??? How am I supposed to verify funds having been transferred at the time a check is handed to me. I should be happy right now and instead I'm feeling like it's all caving in. I told him I wouldn't trust it to drive all the way back either, but he won't listen. He might have to get a motel for a few days till I KNOW the money is in my bank...:yes:

Update already, he just emailed me and he can't find anyone to ride up with him on this short notice. He is going to mail the check and then schedule a road trip up after we get back from SC. Maybe this is going to work out..

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Congrats Mitch on the sale of your car. Hope everything works out okay :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Mitch,
Once you get the check, take it immediately to your Bank and ask if they can call the issuing bank (Capital Auto Finance) and make dang sure the check is good and will clear. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Mitch,
Once you get the check, take it immediately to your Bank and ask if they can call the issuing bank (Capital Auto Finance) and make dang sure the check is good and will clear. Hope it works out for you.
I thought the same thing. It's scary taking a check for that amount. Just make sure that it's a real bank check and not one printed up on a computer. Verify it with the Bank and hold the car until it clears.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Mitch...

Did a Google search and can't find a Capital Auto Finance anywhere. Yes there is a Capital One Auto Finance but not the above. Be sure its a good check ASAP like its on fire !

Kev

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Mitch,
Hey that's good news, you could do it like this: offer to take the guy out for lunch since he's coming up here from around 1,000 miles away. On the way, stop at your bank and attempt to deposit the check. If the buyer is on the level he'll have no problem with that (especially if you're buying lunch). Anyway good luck, keep us 'posted'.....Terry M (River Falls WI)

·
Super Moderator
32,749 Posts
If he brings a check, he can "endorse" it at any bank for cash to you. They will check the validity of the check before handing the money over.

As long as you have it documented "CASH", you are good in a court of law.

·
Registered
551 Posts
7-11 Sells WESTERN Union money orders that can be verified by 800#, I've sold many an auto using these.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mitch...

Did a Google search and can't find a Capital Auto Finance anywhere. Yes there is a Capital One Auto Finance but not the above. Be sure its a good check ASAP like its on fire !

Kev
Yup, it is Capitol One Auto Finance....I called them today to verify the check number he gave me and it is legit.......but.....there's always a but isn't there.......they want ME to provide a bunch of notorized paperwork before they will release the money. Some of which I can't provide....so....as far I know right now....the deal is off. I tried to convince him on the phone last night to make sure this was going to work before he hit the Buy it Now button....as it stands right now he screwed me out of the chance to sell it to someone else and a $47.00 listing fee...:mad:

I must have been mistaken about making the ad perfectly clear what I would accept for payment. I'm pretty sure being part of someone else's qualification process wasn't included...:sad:

·
Registered
551 Posts
file a buyer dispute if you can't work it out - at least you won't be out the listing fees, as for the check - take it but don't release the vehicle until funds have cleared - otherwise tell him to deposit it in his own bank account then get a MO from western union OR he can deposit it in his own account and you guys can do a wire transfer between bank accounts.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He can't deposit the check in his account...it HAS to be made out to a private party seller. The big stumbling block is that COAF wants a notarized bill of sale from me and the title isn't in my name.....they won't accept that unless I transfer the title into my name.

He did just email back and asked what it would take to make this happen and I explained that he would have to pay for all the costs associated with the transfer to my name and wait 4-8 weeks until the title came back before he could present the check for validation. OF COURSE the car stays here until I have the money...:yes:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I know its not always viable but I always...ALWAYS deal in cash. I have bought and sold all my collectibles in cash. It just makes everything easier. I hope everything works out for ya. I actually was trying to get a buddy of mine to buy your car but he was more interested in the investment end of things and I certainly think your car would make a great driver. Good luck man. :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Here in MI we have a select number of DMV's that have "Instant Title Service" you might check to see if any of yours do?

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know its not always viable but I always...ALWAYS deal in cash. I have bought and sold all my collectibles in cash. It just makes everything easier. I hope everything works out for ya. I actually was trying to get a buddy of mine to buy your car but he was more interested in the investment end of things and I certainly think your car would make a great driver. Good luck man. :D
Thanks for the plug......:thumbsup: it would take a good deal more work to fall into an "investment" catagory...:noway:

The guy that stopped the auction last night just emailed back that I should just relist it.........:mad: ..like it's no big deal that he ended any chance I had to sell it to someone else during this auction. I will file a complaint to have the listing fees dropped or reversed to him....:yes:

I'm so sick of eBay I may end my registration when this is all done.......:sad:

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 44 Posts