Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pulled a 305 tpi out of my 87 z-28 and would like to replace it with a 350 tpi. I have no expeirance whatsoever and need someone to email for advice, or if anyone lives in SC, i could call. My major questions for right now would be:
1) Would i need a new chip? how much should that run?
2) will there be any mounting problems?
3) are all acc's universal? (A/c, p/s,air pump,alt)
4) how much should a rebuilt engine cost?
5) What will i HAVE to buy in order to get the engine together (intake/exhaust manifolds,runner, plenum, fuel lines?) are these items normally included?

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I have a friend that did the same thing on his 91 z28. he might be of some help. He has some electric box that downloads information and tells what the motor is doing. Email me and I'll give you his # My email is [email protected]

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
The only thing that I can tell is about the chip and I'm real sure you'll need the 350 TPI chip. I think the rest is a bolt up deal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The best price i've found so far is $1,299 (including core/shipping) is this a good price? What is the difference between 4 bolt and 2 bolt? roller cam and non-roller?

·
Registered
210 Posts
1,299 is'nt bad. 2 and 4 bolt referres to the main bearing bolts. where the crankshaft bolts into the motor, higher performance engines used 4 bolts for every main bearing cap. roller and non roller means that the camshaft is either a roller profile(it uses roller lifters) or a flat tappet profile(it uses flat lifters) roller cams have a little wheel on the lifter that rolls on the camshaft lobe and creates less friction on the valvetrain. it is your decision on roller or non roller valvetrains. some people swear by roller cams. it does kind of help to get a basic knowledge of this stuff when talking to these guys so they don't try to rip you off. not that everyone who sells rebult motors is lying, but there are some bad apples out there. you basically have to know when you are being had. i would keep shopping around though if i were you.

[ 03-23-2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: nate ]

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
GM has a brand new roller cam equipped replacement longblock that sells for around $1500, if memory serves correctly. the application is for an early 90's TBI non police Caprice. this thing seems like an awesome deal- one piece rear seal, cast crank, 4 bolt mains, PM rods, hyper pistons, hydraulic roller cam, cast iron heads for 87 and newer intake and center bolt valve covers included. part # 12513151 .
your efi setup and everything else will bolt right up to it, and with a chip change, should run like a beast.
check it out here
http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=128&pid=105

1 - 9 of 9 Posts