Vin number
124379L502138

Any help would be great

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
This code is only found on "LOS" (Van Nuys) cars.
From the CRG web site,

LOS - Fisher Body body scheduling code
The LOS (Los Angeles/Van Nuys) body scheduling code is a letter followed by one to three digits, e.g., F103. Based on data analysis only (there is no GM documentation yet available that describes this code) - but with consistent application to thousands of datapoints - CRG believes the code was used by LOS Fisher Body (and other plants that built multiple carlines) to aid in scheduling the body build order.
The letter indicates the approximate production day of the month for the start of the assembly of each vehicle body. It began with letter "A" on the first day of the month of the Fisher production calendar, incremented at the start of each additional production day to the next alphabetic letter, and was reset to letter "A" at the start of the next production month. (Note that the Fisher production calendar is known to differ slightly from the calendar month, and we also do not yet know exactly how the Fisher production calendar related to the Chevrolet monthly production reporting calendar.) The one-to-three digit sequence number that follows the letter was reset to 1 at the start of each production day and was incremented serially with each body built by the factory as the day progressed. Data analysis indicates that the sequence number at the LOS plant was assigned regardless of model or body type. By this we mean that Camaros and full-size passenger cars both incremented the same sequence counter. The unit counter was reset to 1 the next day as the day-of-the-month code letter incremented to the next letter. In the example, F103 would indicate the sixth day of production for a given month and the 103rd body started on that sixth day of production.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys,

I got some numbers of the engine they are 502138 eng number
casting number 3932386 if I read it right the engine is matching number to the vin is 124379L502138 but I can not tell if it is a 300hp 350 or a 270hp 327 engine
are there any other codes on the engine, diff, trans, I should look for
and should they match the vin number

Any help would be great

Thanks
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
...on the engine pad (where you apparently found the partial VIN), ...there should be another stamping (ie. V0331ME). The two letter suffix of that stamping is what will tell you more about the motor.
As has been mentioned, ...go to http://www.camaros.org
...you will find everything you need to decode your car (including the meaning of the two letters you find...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Any help please guys
The decoding is very simple if go to the website previously posted and read.
Everyone here is able to help if you ask specific questions, what is it you want to know?
From what I see this is a 1969 Camaro V8 coupe in Cortez Silver with a black standard interior.
It was built the fourth week of 1968, approximately the 429th car built on the 26th day of the month.
The code Z429 is rare, one of possibly 12 cars built with this code.
Does the car have an original aluminum head big block engine with 4 speed transmission and 12 bolt posi rear end?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no its a small block what i am trying to work out if its a 350 or 327 it has a t350 and 12 bolt but i dont know if its a posi.
it is Cortez Silver with a black standard interior.

I am looking at buying this car here in australia for $59,000 aud

Do you think it is worth it it was fully restored back in 2000.

would you like to see a photo of the trim tag so you can tell me if it look original

Mark

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mark if you can not post the picture, email it to me and i will post it for you,,and the small blocks used was the 307, 327 and 350 engines used in 69, Where in Australia is the car?? the suffix code where you found the vin stamped on the engine pad will tell you what the engine was and what trans it was mated to. As everyone else has said go to www.camaros.org lots of great information there ,,, Frank

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys i am trying to get the owner to get the numbers from the diff
he thinks it has 2 lines

Jet_car i sent you the photo

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
What's the exchange for $Aus?