Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought an 83 z and I'm wanting to get a little more gas milage(currently around 8mpg) and possibly a little more hp. I'm also trying to pass an emissions test and managed to fail misserably. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

There is currently a 350 crate motor in it, edelbrock intake & cams package. Everything else stock. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
A more specific question would be helpful. How does the car run? Has anyone set the timing and fuel mixture? When was the last tune up?

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Mark has it right-on b/c you should really start back at square one and give it a complete tuneup. And this means wires cap and rotor, too if it hasn't been done in a long time!!

Don't forget the PCV valve and all the vacuum hoses and such b/c they may be rotten by now too.

I usually even go so far as flush out the rad. and install new rad. and heater hoses and all belts just so I will know how good they are later on..

I've done this many times and after going through the suspension, brakes, exhaust and shocks you will ba amazed how long a $300 beater will run!!

And don't forget to pack all wheel bearings when doing the brakes...pdq67

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Mark has it right-on b/c you should really start back at square one and give it a complete tuneup. And this means wires cap and rotor, too if it hasn't been done in a long time!!

Don't forget the PCV valve and all the vacuum hoses and such b/c they may be rotten by now too.

I usually even go so far as flush out the rad. and install new rad. and heater hoses and all belts just so I will know how good they are later on..

I've done this many times and after going through the suspension, brakes, exhaust and shocks you will ba amazed how long a $300 beater will run!!

·
Banned
21,341 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the advice, I have got a tune up and mew brakes and tires all around, but wasnt to sure about the dist. The carb is still out of adjustment but i was planning on messing with that this weekend, but i have set the timing. I forgot to mention that earlier. If I get the dist replaced and carb adjusted, would it probably pass an emissions test? If not what else could I do. There is pretty much no EGR system left in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts