Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roller rockers are yella terra 1.6 ratios. The heads are afr 210 elim's. I'd like to be able to use the stock throttle rod/ linkage from my 68 z/28. The lower the profile the better --as long as they have clearance. And I refuse to advertise for any manufacturers so they need to be plain (unless they're old school like a set of M/T's ;-). Any suggestions?

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Dave is the '68 Z linkage any different that the '69? I use a modified (to clear the TV cable) '69 throttle rod and don't see how any tall covers would interfear at all. I know guys are running stock alum '69/'70 Z covers with a extra gasket and getting away with them. The M/Ts and other vintage covers are available on ebay for much less than new. Use good judgment when bidding and get pictures showing breather holes, baffles and the gasket areas to avoid getting a bad set. A little TLC can really go a long way... I was given these and don't have more than $30 total into everything shown... They are going on the Nova along with an old Torker I picked up...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave is the '68 Z linkage any different that the '69? I use a modified (to clear the TV cable) '69 throttle rod and don't see how any tall covers would interfear at all. I know guys are running stock alum '69/'70 Z covers with a extra gasket and getting away with them. The M/Ts and other vintage covers are available on ebay for much less than new. Use good judgment when bidding and get pictures showing breather holes, baffles and the gasket areas to avoid getting a bad set. A little TLC can really go a long way... I was given these and don't have more than $30 total into everything shown... They are going on the Nova along with an old Torker I picked up...

looks AWESOME!! not sure if 68/69 linkage is exactly same or not but i should know after being under the hood of my friend's 69 so many times.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey Dennis do those covers have two breathers one pvc and one oil fill hole? Having problems with my covers blowing out the gaskets now just on the one side with just a pcv no breather.A friend said I might need breathers on both side.Just order the steel insert gaskets to see if this would help.Only blows oil above 3grand.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Thanks Dave -

Fred - the driver side just has a PCV valve with a baffle under it, no breather. The pass side has the breather and no baffle and the oil fill which is sealed. I have my Camaro set up basically the same way but the pass side is plumbed to the air cleaner, stock style.

If you have a pcv valve you don't want a breather on the same side...

If you are blowing out gaskets I would look at the pcv valve, sounds like it's plugged. If you can unplug the pcv valve from the valve cover with the engine running and there is suction it's a good sigh it's ok. Maybe a baffle is plugged in the valve cover. Don't laugh, I have seen valve covers installed with gromets that were actually plugs and the pcv valve stuck into it.

Also make sure you are not tightening the Valve cover bolts so much that you are squishing the gaskets out.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
I had the M/Ts on my 82 TA. I love them. Classics.

I don't know if the 'no manufacturers' rules counts Chevy. These are simple. Chrome, black wrinkle, gray available. Also some nice aluminum ones available.

I got the steel ones bare (unfortunately no baffles), GM #010134316, from scoggin dickey. I like the semi-stealth look. They aren't advertised, I tripped on the part# in the GMPP catalog, I think. I bought them to clear 1.6 aluminum roller that now I am not using. :) Here are spy pics.

(man, it's starting to look like a car again...)

They are just taller then stamped OE ones, so I don't know why they would not fit. I had to clock the C130 alternator, but that is probably not an issue for you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dennis,

Those look great, would you mind telling me if those are painted or are they powder coated?

Rick:beers:

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Dave almost any tall style cover will work, but with the AFR's 3/4" raised valve cover sealing surface this becomes the real issue. In fact I was very pleased with my 427 with the AFR's when I first dropped it in. Then over the next winter I noticed I couldn't get WOT from the pedal because I adjusted the linkage to work from under the hood. What I didn't realize is with the throttle leaver angled like it is there just isn't enough room between the edge of the valve cover and the firewall. Needless to say I was "very" happy to find some extra power with that last @25% of throttle movement once I straightened the throttle arm out a little. It's not noticeable unless you look very close and know what angle it "should" be at.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I put a 427 SB roller motor in my 69Z . I used the stock valve covers but got a B&B spacer through Summit so they would clear the roller rockers. I was trying to make my motor look as much like the stock 302 as possible so that was the look for me. The spacers work great , most people don't even notice them and there are no leaks.

·
20,713 Posts
I bought mine at Carlisle last year for $70 and they look like these but w/o the script. They cleared the Harlandsharp's 1.5 al. r/r's and now the SS 1.6 r/r's.
aluminum,and chrome plated/polished.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing. I had a set Just like Dennis that I did with just satin black not wrinkle. And the thing is I just sold mine 2 yrs ago, because I was sick of moving them around from shelf to shelf for the last 5yrs or so since I took the off the Camaro.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I really like Doug's offerings and I've considered a set of billet rail fabricated sheet metal covers also. Here is an option you don't see everyday. 49-50 Oldsmobile valve cover spark plug retainers powder coated in extreme chrome and silk screened with the old Chevrolet script added to the top of a set of what ever covers you want. Thought they were pretty unique looking so I bought a set. Don't know if I'll use them or not, just found them interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-...ryZ33627QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey Dennis one more question I see all the covers you guys are running have the little short or no spreeders.I have the long ones with crome covers with baffles one PVC and one breather.Should I be useing the short or long ones?Steel insert gaskets came in I want to do this one more time?You said to glue them to the covers then install them dry to the AFR heads?I was thinking the PCV valve, its hard on the East cost to find a 744 PVCvalve.Back to the dealer.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
No spreaders = cast alum or fabricated covers, I have the same tall stamped steel covers the others have shown hanging on the wall in the garage and used the long spreaders when I ran them. The long spreaders should have a bow in them that acts like a spring to insure the clamping is spread over the entire distance. Don't over tighten the valve covers but if you use the long spreaders that goes double.

I use to just tack the gasket very lightly to the covers to hold them in place when installing but since I started using studs in the heads instead of bolts I've given up on gasket sealer unless I have a leak.

Use mail order for your PCV valve if you can't find the one you want locally. Summit, Jegs or Rockauto should have them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts