Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everything is apart and I need to see exactly where to weld the O2 bung so it doesn't interfere with other moving parts and the sensor will have a clear path to the firewall....thanks!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Is this a wide-band O2 sensor. The manufacturers have a recommended placement. I think I have a PDF from Bosche and perhaps one other. If you're interested, send me a message including your email and I'll send it to you (provided I find it).

From what I recall, the O2 sensor should be mounted 10* up from horizontal. The mounting position has to do with preventing condensation from pooling in the tip and ruining the sensor. That leaves you with four choices for mounting the bung.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I do not see that anyone responded to Dave's question with a pictue, but I need one too.

Need to know where to drill the hole in the headers so it does not hit anything

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,665 Posts
With all respct to Jim's picture, the O2 sensor should be pointed slightly downward, so moisture doesn't collect and corrode the sensor; so locating it at the 9:30 to 10:00 or 2:00 to 2:30 positions is probably most practical.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Appreciate the respect, Mike, but with the header on the car and that big ole tko keeping the dril motor from going any higher, straight out was the best it was "practical" to do.:D

I brought the harness up thru the old auto trans cable grommet, on the drivers side of that big trans. No way the drivers side header (and the clutch linkage) was gonna come out for this.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,665 Posts
I brought the harness up thru the old auto trans cable grommet, on the drivers side of that big trans. No way the drivers side header (and the clutch linkage) was gonna come out for this.
No passenger side header? How odd!!

All kidding aside, I put my O2 sensor in the reducer from the header flange to the exhaust pipe. That way I could drop the pipe enough to drill the hole.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Is there any reason it couldn't be in the exhaust tubing just a few inches rearward instead of in the header?
If it is a heated O2 sensor, moving it a few inches back shouldn't affect it. Unheated sensors, which are all narrow-band, are very sensitive to placement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.