Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 91 Camaro... I have had nothing but trouble out of it... I AM DISGUSTED with it actually... Half the time, it starts and runs great... the other half, NOTHING... I have replaced the Starter, Battery, Alternator, Ignition switch, and it still wont start half the time... Now, it has been doing this thing of just up and DYING while going down the road... I have noticed when it does this, the SECURITY LIGHT comes on... I called the Chevy Dealership, and they told me it was a part called the PASS KEY MODULATOR.... in the steering column. I was also told by Auto Zone, that there was a way to by-pass that modulator... Can someone tell me HOW TO DO THAT!!! or if it might be SOMETHING DIFFERENT that is wrong... I am desperate here!!! Please help...

------------------
R. Hendrickson

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
brother-in-law had simular problems with his 91 RS,would crank but not run,or while driving along hit a small bump/get into it,what ever,and the car would just shut off.come to find out it was a loose power wire at the computer.its all fine now.

------------------
My68Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I've seen this type of thing when the small wires from the ignition lock cylinder for the pass key go bad or intermittant and it only starts occasionally, and then finally not at all. You may need to replace the lock cylinder and the keys have to be matched for the pass key.

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
567 Posts
Check over at thirdgen.org , they have a section just on the vehicle security system. They have papers on removing the VATS.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a simular problem with my 67RS.
I don't know if this will help but, my regulater started going bad and was not alowing the alternator to charge the battery and power to reach the engine. This caused the car to die on the road and the the car wouldn't start some times.
Hope This Helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts