Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't run my 1968 camaro for more than 1 to 1.5 minutes without burning out the control module, (crate 350, w/ H.E.I. ignition), what would cause the car to run fine for a minute or two than burn up the module?, I've been through 3 already trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I do not know if this will burn out modules but when you use an HEI in an older car you can not use the original power supply wire that went to the coil it is a reduced voltage. You need a 12 volt supply.

PS Do not use the other wire that runs from the coil to the starter either.

------------------
68SS ZZ4, 4sp T-10, 12 bolt, getting painted

78Z28, 330hp vortec, TH350, 10 bolt (just finished)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I suspect your voltage regulator is bad. This happened to me two years ago on the Hot Rod Power Tour. My regulator went bad 30 miles outside of Abilene and burned by module out. Fortunately, I had a spare that held out until we got into town.

It is too bad we learn all of this stuff because it happened to us!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I'll double check that, I think my battery source to the H.E.I. is comming off a lead in the fuse box (labled from the fatory) "battery" it sounds like your saying that this power soure is not a "true" 12 volt source? hey thanks for the great advice, I find that trouble shooting is a lot eaiser when others (like yourself) give suggestions. thanks chris <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1st & 2nd GENGuy:
I do not know if this will burn out modules but when you use an HEI in an older car you can not use the original power supply wire that went to the coil it is a reduced voltage. You need a 12 volt supply.

PS Do not use the other wire that runs from the coil to the starter either.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts