Team Camaro Tech banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today at work my manager told me i have to start cleaning the restroom everyso often. i told her i would not because that is a janitorial job and i did not agree to any such thing in my contract when i accepted the job. she then told me i couldnt use any of the facilities at the work place if i didnt clean them.

well i told my parents and some other people about this today and everyone has been telling me they cant do such a thing and that its illegal for them to forbid me for using the restrooms.

how can i find out if it is and what should i do? i mean i cant hold it in forever. i've been thinking about quiting but i just hate to do so. is it illegal for them to forbid me access to the john in the state of ky?

·
Registered
886 Posts
id say hold it in for the whole day, pee your pants and then get a high powered lawyer to sue then for pain, suffereing and humiliation. then youll own the company :)

actually, in todays world, that just might happen ...

in all honesty, they cant tell you not to use them. if they did, then id charge time while i drove home, went and came back.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nooo Waaaayyyy!! :boxing: , They cannot tell you you can't go to the can, what do you do (job type).

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Chris ill probably get flamed for telling you this..but why not just clean the bathrooms? no big deal, if your happy there and maybe they are just short handed? or maybe that is just part of a small company on how they want things done..i dunno but work is work and money is money, most of us, me included had to start at the bottom of a company, and i know you said it wasn't talked about when you had gotten hired ..so i understand you being upset..but i wouldn't make a big deal about it unless you really feel you should..but everyones differant so do what you think is best..my .02..

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Like Chris said, Just clean them....no big deal, if your the low man and you need the money, like Chris said, work is work....I wouldn't think it would take that long to brush and mop it out....just my .02 :)

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Pesonally I would need to know a little more about what you do... but if in fact you were hired for a specific job and no where does it say anything about cleaning the bathrooms or a related type of responibility then I say don't do it... this is not cleaning the toilet at home , this is cleaning up after someone else. I will drink of my kids soda bottle but I sure as hell won't drink off a strangers... how many of us that have already responded would ... would you do it?

Hey dad's.. did you ever change one of your kids diapers? Would you change some strangers kids diapers....not even with a rubber suit !

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Clean the Bathrooms, even if its NOT YOUR JOB, it will show that you are willing to do anything to help the company and will help in promotions/raises in the future.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
This is the problem with todays youth. What the heck is wrong with someone asking you to do "your" part. It's sound abvious that the manager is asking others to clean them and telling them the same thing. If not then they have somewhat of problem but not really. You were hired to do a job, weather it's to scrub toilets or built widgets.

Think of it this way, the time they ask you to learn something above what your job is supposed to be I bet your all over it to learn. Simply stating that scrubing a toilet is beneath you is the totaly wrong way to handle this. For all the money in the world I can figure out why some of todays kids think they are privilaged and do not have to do something a manager or a boss tells them to do. I mean she did not tell you to go count change in the middle of the road in rush hour, it was a simple clean the toilet.

Just do it and be done with it. If you don't like it quit, or better yet let them fire you for insborination and see how that recomendation goes over at your next job. Suck it up man and be one. I have never worked at any company where your not at least expected to clean up after yourself at a minimum in the crapper. Just walk into a public restroom that is not well maintained. The people that leave stuff around and can't hit a urnal are amazing. I wonder how they keep thier our home bathrooms?

Step up...........it's the real world and mommy does not clean your toilet anymore.

Sorry man but this just hits a spot. After being in the Marine Corps, cleaning a toilet is the least of my worries at work. Ohh and by the way we have a cleaning service that comes in everyday. We still 'all' do our part to have a clean crapper even if that means cleaning up after a pig. Your rest room relfects on your work place and you belive it or not. Would you eat in a restraunt that you knew had dirty crappers?

·
Registered
662 Posts
actually, if your manager told you to do it and you said no is probably a very bad idea. What do you mean "contract". Did you sign something that said you do a, b, and c? No one who works for me ever signed a contract, and if someone refused to do as I ask them I would first write them up, if the problem continued, I would discharge them. Of coarse, Texas is somewhat different. I do not want to sound like a jerk here, but whatever happened to doing a job, getting paid for what you do and leaving the lawyers and want to be lawyers out of it. If you do not like what you do, quit.

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
When I was young and an apprentice starting out, I cleaned my share of restrooms. I signed a contract with both the union and the state apprentice board. This is a learn on the job position and cleaning up a restroom really wasn't part of the deal. It wasn't a every day thing, but when asked I did no problem. They had all the safety equipment (gloves, brushes, mop, etc.)....It only took a few minutes and was no big deal. Now I am the boss, and if there is a restroom backup we clear the drain, rehang the toilet, and then as the janitors are cleaning up we stay to assist....like I said, no big deal....:)

·
3,424 Posts
When I was young and an apprentice starting out, I cleaned my share of restrooms.

Geeze, I am old, and I own the place, and I still clean the John !!!!

Actually, we all sort of take turns, we all like it clean and dont mind doing what it takes.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
This is the problem with todays youth. What the heck is wrong with someone asking you to do "your" part. It's sound abvious that the manager is asking others to clean them and telling them the same thing. If not then they have somewhat of problem but not really. You were hired to do a job, weather it's to scrub toilets or built widgets.

Think of it this way, the time they ask you to learn something above what your job is supposed to be I bet your all over it to learn. Simply stating that scrubing a toilet is beneath you is the totaly wrong way to handle this. For all the money in the world I can figure out why some of todays kids think they are privilaged and do not have to do something a manager or a boss tells them to do. I mean she did not tell you to go count change in the middle of the road in rush hour, it was a simple clean the toilet.

Just do it and be done with it. If you don't like it quit, or better yet let them fire you for insborination and see how that recomendation goes over at your next job. Suck it up man and be one. I have never worked at any company where your not at least expected to clean up after yourself at a minimum in the crapper. Just walk into a public restroom that is not well maintained. The people that leave stuff around and can't hit a urnal are amazing. I wonder how they keep thier our home bathrooms?

Step up...........it's the real world and mommy does not clean your toilet anymore.
Joe....you hit the nail on the head and it irks me too!

Man, when I was a kid my first job at 14 was washing dishes in a restaurant and we had to clean the bathrooms once or twice a week and it was no big deal.

Noone seems to look at the big picture anymore....go the extra mile and just do what your boss wants, within reason, and it'll reflect better on you come time for reviews, raises and advancement. It worked for me!! ;)

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Yeah, need more info on your job and contract, BUT, unless there is a real good reason not to clean them, besides it being a nasty job, Just clean them. I work under a collective bargaining agreement (Union contract) and when your an apprentice you do what you are told, unless it endangers your safety somehow (obviously as long as it's workplace related). I mean you have your personal boundaries but I can't see cleaning the workplace john being an issue, it's not like the manager wants you to wax his car, paint his house and clean his bathroom at home or something. You'll be getting paid for it correct?
But, if you have a problem with it don't do it, but you'll probably be looking for a new job, find one that won't require cleaning the toilet I guess.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Its no big deal to clean them. You were asked to share the duties of cleaning it. I don't care what is needed to be done (within reason) just do it and show them that you are there to help out no matter what. A team player is needed in todays workplace. Put on some rubber gloves, grab the brush and bowl cleaner and have at it! Mop your way out and go for a coffee :) You will fell much better going with the grain than against it...

Kev

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Geeze, I am old, and I own the place, and I still clean the John !!!!

Actually, we all sort of take turns, we all like it clean and dont mind doing what it takes.
Yep Bill...

That the old school way :) Heck... I have cleaned the John and the Jane too :D

Kev

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Don't listen to them... don't do it man !

OK.. what is your job... what are your duties as defined by your job description and what kind of place do you work at? Give up some details pls

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Chris, I've owned several companies since I was about 19 years old. I've
hired and fired my share of employees. For the most part small companies
want a tight nit group of people working together to achive a common goal.
Your attitude about this small request shows your not willing to compromise
in order to meet this goal (keeping the bath room clean) or others that may be presented to to you. To your employer this is not about the toilet it's about you earning your place on the team. While you may be right about your
" contract " , the truth is your just showing that your spoiled by mommy and daddy. Earning your place is not always easy or pleasent. Respect can only be earned, often very difficult ,but very easily lost. Every person I hire has the same contract ( do what I ask of you as long its not against the law or imoral {Sp} ) If you do'nt agree you do'nt work here. Very simple job description. After the stink you have made over this , you would have to do alot to get a good referance from me. Sorry, starting at the bottom is no fun but everyone should have to do it. ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i work at a fisher's warehouse. i work 3 hours at the warehouse and drive for 3 hours. i have been more than what some people have done. i have been ask to come in early and to work past my shift. more than willing. but when they hand me a scrub brush and tell me to be a janitor...hell no. there is two things i will not do. work at a restruant and clean other peoples tolits. its bad enough they are only paying us 7.50 for what we do now. that is another reason i'm thinking about leaving. i can be a vendor at walmart and get paid $15 an hour or i can get a welding job and get paid $15+ depneding who i work for.

Joe, you act like i'm a lazy bum but i'm not. i'm not like half the co-workers at my work and talk on cell phones, go asleep in the back areas of the warehouse, surf the computers or go to the autoparts stores and chat with other employee's . i work. but i do freakin clean after other people.

i've compromise as much as i can with them and my manager knows it. i've compromise so much that i'm sick and tires of volunteering to do crap for them.
i've always been told go beyond what you should and you will be noticed. being noticed will sometimes move you up in the world. i know this is true because every job i've had before this one i have been promoted. so far at this job i've only been demoted it seems. if i cant please i guess i cant.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have been on both sides of this fence and IMHO the larger chain type companies seem to be one sided its not give and take anymore, ex. Jimmy would you clean the restrooms for us ? Jimmy does it because he's a team player. Now some time passes and Jimmy needs a day off for good reason but is told if he doesnt come to work he wont have a job.

Also these same companies will lecture there employees about a screw up but when was the last time your boss came to you and praised you for a good job ?........

Tell them to clean to crapper themselves:beers:

·
Registered
609 Posts
One thing to keep in mind... If you dont like what they ask you to do..LEAVE!
You dont have to work there...Either do what is asked of you or if you think your being treated unfairly..Go somewhere else..

I tire of people bitching about their jobs.. If your not happy , stop complaining and do something about it.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.