Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled off a small 12" electrical fan from some radiator in a junkyard for free, and it still spins great. I am just going to use it as a supplemetary fan to my existing flex fan, as a pusher. I dont need any fancy relays, etc...just something to get me by until I can do it right. As is right now, my car hits 215 on the freeway back when the weather was 15 degrees cooler than it is now!

I will put a manual on/off toggle switch between the battery and the fan, and I just forgot to put it in the diagram. Will this work OK, or are you doing this :rolleyes: ?

edit, heres the link:
http://www.geocities.com/capitolstrokers/fansetup.jpg

You may not be able to click it to open it up, but you can copy and paste the link into a browser and it will work. Thats Geocities for ya

·
Retired
26,642 Posts
Even if you just want to use a switch to turn the fan on and off, spend a few extra dollars and put a rely into the ckt. Not knowing the fans draw be ready for your charging system to be taxed.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">(+ batt)===============================[]
(+ batt from key)---->(switch)<----->(rely)<----(-grd)
(- grd)=====>(fan)<====================[]</pre>[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, thats what I needed to know! Im going to try to get my hands on an ammeter to see what this thing draws, because it was a primary fan for some car at one point. We'll see

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
good advice, definately use a relay, it's simple and inexpensive. one problem i'm seeing, if your cooling problem was at speed, you mention on the freeway, the fan wont likely help. its more likely a radiator size/flow issue, i'm thinking. hope it works out for you

·
Registered
503 Posts
I put a new put a new 16" pusher fan on my car several years ago, without a relay, controlling it manually with the lighted rocker switch that came with it. I seldom used it, only when the engine would get a little warm after sitting for long periods in traffic. I have my car "gutted" right now, for a full "restification". I was shocked to find that the wires and connectors plugged into the back of the rocker switch were so melted that I had to cut them ! Definately use a relay on a fan or electric fuel pump (I had that wired up half @ss too !)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts