Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 25 or so years, I decided today was the day I was going to quit smoking. I'm so lost as to what to do. I already eat sunflower seeds like a deranged parrot, and food as an alternative is not a problem.
Any advice from someone who has quit and make it stuck? I'm going cold turkey right now, but I need a long term solution.
It's been 9 hours and I can't resist going to the 7-11 for smokes. Help!

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
After the first 72 hours, the rest is all pyschological. Once the nicotine
has left your body, its all mind over matter. I'm going on six years now. You came into this world a non-smoker and you had to LEARN how to smoke, now you can LEARN not to smoke. If you can make it three days (and you can) you have got it licked. If I can quit, anybody can. 2 people smoking in one household spend about $2600 per year on smokes. Concentrate on the first three days, and then each day after. Think about your health and your family. Sunflower seeds helped me a great deal but smoking is just a habit and can be broken anytime, just like any other habit. I know its not easy, but if you can get past the first three days, you have got it made and every day gets better. Trust me. Go to see a hypnotherapist if you need extra help.
This helped me also. People laughed at the idea, but it sure did help. AND it was a money back guarantee. Stay away from caffiene and sugar when trying to quit. I could ramble on all night, but its real rewarding when you over-come this bad habit and you can. Now that I quit, I still drink beer. You just associate smoking, with drinking or having a smoke after dinner or when you get up in the morning. Its all in your mind after the initail shock. Good Luck.

Rick

·
Super Moderator
33,211 Posts
Congrats on your decision!!

Do those things Rick suggests, plus, chew gum, exercise, sweep the floor, walk the dog, have sex, clean the garage, rearrange your sock drawer, clean the toilet, dig deep into the honey-do jar, anything to entertain your mind from thinking about smoking.

Keep the mind occupied.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I quit 14 years ago and the way I did it was just put um down ! I bought a pack of smokes and a can of skoal got home and never opened either went over to the creek and threw them both in , never boght any more , it was hard to do even after a year or so if I got around something I used to do while smoking like fishing it was tough , but I made it and you can too good luck !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Just wanted to encourage you on your efforts to quit smoking....Hang in there man! My mom smoked for about 20 years. She quit smoking and today is an active runner and did her last marathon at the age of 56! Thankfully, I never smoked, but I know it's hard to quit smoking especially if you are trying to deal with other personal issues at the same time!

Just take it one day at a time....

Regards,
- Mark P.

·
Registered
348 Posts
383... as a former smoker (now smoke free after 15 years) I can tell you that it's not easy... but it's worth it!

I've seen too many people die a slow, long and painful death because of smoking related health issues.

Don't let the Tobacco marketing folks trick you into thinking smoking is "cool"... it's not... it's deadly.

You deserve to live a long quality of life, as we all do. There's just not enough time to enjoy life "and" finish that on-going Camaro project so don't cheat yourself

Hang in there buddy!

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Congratulate yourself on not smoking. Think of how much simpler things are gonna be. Not only is smoking bad for you, it has become a real pain in the *** to do with all the restrictions. Like going to a movie and fretting about going without a smoke for the length of the movie. I have a friend who is dying of lung cancer right now. He is still active but has lost all his hair do to the Chemo treatments. The chemo is just to buy him more time. He is in his mid 50's. That is much too young to die. He is gonna leave a Wife and two young kids. He has a few more months at the most. No matter how crappy you feel right now. No matter how wound up and antsy you get. The crap you are putting up with is much better than the crap my Friend is putting up with. You don't want to be in the situation he is in. Just keep telling yourself that you have quit and are done. It will be a bitch for awhile but that will pass. Once I told myself I quit, I had a feeling of relief. It can be done but you are the one that has to do it. Stay determined.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I quit 1-1/2 years ago after smoking menthols for 26 years. I did it a bit different than most though. After hernia surgery I used the pain killers to help me thru the withdrawls. But after that week was over it was easy. I was so sick of trying to quit and the smell and the expense. It's actually easier to forget about it alltogether than to keep trying to fight the fight, which can be emotionally exhausting in itself.

After not smoking for awhile, walk up to someone who does smoke and after smelling them that should help deter you. It does for me.
I can smell if someone smoked in a motel room now. YUK!

It's worth it. If you don't succeed this time, keep trying. After awhile, you get so tired of trying to quit, you'll do 1 of 2 things.
You'll give up and just continue to smoke until you die, or you'll toss them and walk away easily, like I did.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I agree with Charlie. I watched my Grandfather die of Lung cancer which also led to brain tumors. Day by day he just faded away, and then gone.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
i also quit almost 6 years ago after smoking for 18 years and about 2 1/2 packs to 3 packs a day. i was a real heavy smoker. i decided to quit not for my health but because i didnt want to pay the $5.00 a pack the stores were about to charge. it was way too much but i am much healthier since i quit. no annoying smokers cough, smelly clothes, dark phlem every morning, stained teeth, etc.

i quit cold turkey while standing on line in union square with a squad of coppers as the new years eve celebrants tried to burn and destroy the city. took my last "hit" just as it turned midnight. i started counting to see how long i could quit. when an hour came, i said i can do another hour. then when it was 12 hours, i said i can do another 12 hours. after that day, i told myself i can do another day and so on and so forth. i think that went on for about a week and just got easier. but, you can only quit if you really want to. if your not ready to quit, you will be driving right to that 7-11 to buy another pack.

good luck
angel

·
15,376 Posts
383, you've already cleared the first hirdle! Deciding that TODAY is the day you're going to quit smoking! The rest is cake.

Everyone is right.... it's all in your head after the first week. A habit. A reflex. Replace that reflex with something else and you won't want to smoke. It may always be in the back of your mind and there'll be things that remind you to light up but just think of the decision to quit as a one-way door..... once you walk through it you CAN'T go back.

Even if you don't have a weight problem and "think" you're in good shape, just simply adding a 15-20 minute walk, yes WALK, to your day will do wonders for your stamina and breathing. Believe me... I know! A few sit-ups and pushups a few times a week will make you feel like a new person. When you want a smoke, just imagine dripping cancer cells running down into your lungs.... then go for a walk, bike ride, a jog, ANYTHING. It only takes a few minutes and you don't have to excercise every day either. Pretty soon you'll be replacing smelly ashtrays and cigarette butts with HEALTH!

Good luck brother!!

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
13 years for me, and I used to break the filters off so I could get a bigger hit. Started rolling my own about a year before I quit.

What works for one person might not work for another.

Three things worked for me:

1.. My wifes aunt was this wrinkled up old bag who smoked Lucky Strikes for about 70 years. Whenever I had the urge for a smoke I'd picture the brown stains all around her mouth and her hoarse voice....ugh!

2. I didn't pitch my smokes in the trash - I kept them in my pocket. Not having access to a cigarette for me was the kind of streesor that made me want one even more. I told myself that if I wanted one it was available...

3. I chewed nicotine gum...

It's a mind game. When you are truly ready to quit, you'll quit! Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Congrats. Not many words of wisdom here you haven't heard. I quit 25 years ago and it was hard. But you're investing in yourself. Nobody died of cancer happy. They probably wished they could fix their time machine like you can do with your camaro.

·
Registered
101 Posts
only 19 months for me but I am so proud of my self for achieving that, I smoked about 50 a day & used hypnoses & patches when I finally got the courage to quit.
It is hard but you must stick with it, I went through mood swings & put on a load of weight then went on a diet to loose it again but let me tell you that not smoking is worth all the hell you go through giving up . I really do enjoy life so much more with out headaches, being out breath & stinking like an ashtray.
Good luck & keep your self busy I found it helped to keep my mind occupied & in no time at all you will start to notice all the benefits of giving up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As many have said, the trick is to get your mind right, so to speak. I quit just over 6 years ago, cold turkey. No gum, no seeds, no patches, just decided that I wasn't going to let a roll of paper with some dried up leaves in it run my life. Yeah I gained some weight, I was probably a pain to live with for a while, but I'm much happier now and you won't believe how much better things smell and taste(probably one reason for weight gain) One other thing I have noticed is how sensitive I am to smell of smoke, I swear if someone is smoking in the car in ahead of me on the highway, I can smell it plain as day.If I have to stand next to a smoker now, I can't believe I put up with that stink for all those years.
I wish you the best of luck in your effort to quit, you won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Originally posted by Blue69:
I swear if someone is smoking in the car in ahead of me on the highway, I can smell it plain as day.
I noticed that also, even six years later.

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Hang in there and consider this site as your "sponsor"

·
Registered
436 Posts
Keep it up 383...The first week was no problem...2nd and third week was a killer for me! The cravings DO go away. They last less and less every day. I'm a good 7 months of smoke free.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I quit six or seven years ago. It was easy once YOU and no one else, decide to quit. Your wife and friends will try to help but its all you. Hang tough. Don't drink any beers for a while. They seem to go hand and hand.

I had an extra boost. I landed myself in the hospital for five days. It wasn't the fact that I was away from smoking for five days that made it easy for me. It was listening to people crying in the dark hours of the night. I'll tell ya, hospitals just stink. You want to do everything possible to stay out of there.

I'd suggest walking or mountain bike riding or something. I thought it helped me think that not only was I not smoking, but I'm getting in much better shape also. Took some of the focus away from butts.

Now I look back and can not even believe I ever smoked.

How are you doing anyway? I hope for ya.

Rick.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.