Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I screwed up! I have a 69 camaro with a 73 350 v-8 engine that came out of either a Chevelle or El Camino. Anyway, I changed the plugs and placed the plug wires not as they were, but according to a diagram for 69 Camaro v-8. Apparently, this is not going to work as the car will crank, but not fire..I heard some popping, so I stopped. I didn't write down the prior placement, and so, I am lost. Can anyone direct me as to the correct plug wire placement? I have an HEI distributor. A diagram would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,521 Posts
If you did not move the distributor housing in the engine, you may be good to go from here.

No. 1 cylinder is the second post going clockwise from the HEI electrical socket.

The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 in a clockwise direction.

Hopefully, this will help.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You could try bumping the starter until the timing mark on the damper is around 6 to 8 degrees BTDC. Next pull the cap. The rotor should be at or very close to #1(if the distributor hasn't been moved). Replace the cap and mark #1 where the rotor is pointing. Starting on #1 go clockwise 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Good Luck Kevin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys for the help. I was basing the placement on a points dist. and corrected for an HEI. Alls working well.

thx again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts