Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys it has been a while since I have posted on this board because I have been spending alot of time on mustang web sites for performance info on my 01 cobra. My buddy just got a 2004 honda s2000 and its silver like my cobra so we have been messing around taking phots and vids of our silver cars. Thats all great until we started talking mods... I cant beleive I spent $1200 of my camaros money on my cobra and for what!!!! NOTHING! I got a stainless magnaflow cat back, a matching highflow catted X pipe, and a pro 5.0 short throw shifter. To make a long story short, I beat the hell out of my hands trying tp get the original H pipe off of the exhaust manafolds and I still didnt manage to get it removed! so I just installed the cat back and called it a day. The X is still sitting in my living room... The mufflers really suck, they didnt change the performance and sound at all, great $500 mod. Now for the shifter... It is a really short throw shifter, its nice if im slaming all the gears but other than that it is stiff and loud. Im going to try to install the X pipe again, the angle of the studs on the manafold it impossible to reach so I need wobblies and all sorts of cut down 15mm sockets and for what? 10HP at the max and a loud exhaust? I could have got a custom radiator and a carb for my new roller 355 for all of that stuff! Its camaro mod time now! thanks for listening to me.

Justin

·
Gold Lifetime Member
8,747 Posts
I've got a 2003 Lightning. They're very similar to the Cobra in that there are a lot of mods that make little if any power for the money. Cat-backs are one of them; only reason to do one is for a sound change. Even full length headers and hi-flow cats hardly make a difference unless the engine is quite modified.

What I did was find a few message boards like this one on the Lightnings, and then searched through messages to see which mods guys liked and which they didn't. Then talked to a few tuners to see whose parts I wanted to use.

You are correct, you can easily spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on stuff that makes little noticeable difference.

Jody

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I did a lot of research on which mods would help my SS454 pickup the most, and in the end, the limitations of the stock TBI made me decide to only change parts that needed changing and save the mod money for something serious like a completely new TPI setup. I replaced the distributor, coil and plug wires to help the engine run smoother, pass emissions easier and get better gas mileage(yeah right, with a 454). And yes, it suks when you can't even get the old parts off to install the new parts. I've had 2 sets of headers for my 454 and every time I try to tackle the install, it's just too much work to get done in a short amount of time so I end up selling them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.