Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving the car for a while. I have no leaks, the smell is coming from the carb, so my thought is that its dumping fuel into the engine. Brand new Edelbrock and 350 crate motor. I put a brand new gas cap on, which I have a question about...Why, when i remove the cap, does it spit out pressure when i loosen it?

Is there something I need to look into on the carb? Get another Gas cap? Before I got the cap I could smell the gas.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
You did not say what type of fuel pump or carb you have. My first thought is that the fuel floats are too high and allowing fuel to run thru the venturi, check float levels. You could have too much fuel pressure and this will force needles off their shut off seats. Might be the back barrels but both need to be checked. Last could be a ruptured PV but then you did not say how it was running, rich , black smoke , etc.

·
Retired
26,656 Posts
I have never smelled raw fuel from the carb without other obvious signs like hard starting from being flooded or having drained fuel bowls. Usually you'll find visual signs of fuel on the throttle linkage (seeping from the throttle shafts) or the primary throttle bores will be wet...

Almost every time I have smelled raw fuel in the interior of the car it's been the fuel filler cap. Not that the cap is bad it's just not on correctly...

The tank burping sometimes when removing the cap is normal from my experiences...

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Performer 600 Edelbrock Carb. A mechanical fuel pump (new) The smell is definitely coming from under the hood. And not the tank.

I'll pull the air cleaner tonite after i drive it a while, and look down the carb and see if I can see fuel draining.

Now, after driving a while then park for 5 or 10 minutes it is hard starting. It takes quite a few cranks to start up.

When i got the carb I did check the float level (as recommended here on posts I have read). Levels seem fine, but I'll do it again.

The tank never burped as strong as it does now after i got a new gas cap (hecho en mexico), I read that as well on another post here.

Another bit of info, the fuel line is hard as a brick after shut down. I unscrewed the fuel line and i had fuel spittin all over the place. After a while pressure goes away.

The tailpipe is pretty black inside.

I want to try to tackle this myself as I dont know many mechanics in this part of the world, too many Mercedes, VW, Audi, Opel etc. dealers/mechanics. My knowledge of carburetion is minimal.

john

·
Super Moderator
32,518 Posts
The carb should not be leaking as you see it. I believe the best to troubleshoot this problem is to remove the carb from the intake and stasrt there.

Get yourself a place outside, park bench maybe, and first, drive the car as usual. Remove the carb to the bench. While its leaking, visually look for the leak. You can remove the top plate of the carb without a problem. In the center axis of the carb, there are two plates, each held by a screw. Unscrew and underneath is a needle, piston, and a spring in each bore. Remove the three components per side, then remove the eight(?) screws and pull the top off, floats will come with it.

Now you have just the bowl and base plate. When the fuel drains out by the leak, you can fill the bowl again to locate the leak. It could be as simple as the floats being set too high also. You might want to lower the level alittle and experiment.

keep track of all the parts and keep them in order. Take pics if you have a camera. Make sure the "flower" is showing to allow close-up focusing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts