Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After turning over many rocks and hunting for one of three known cars I was looking for, I finally ended up with a solid choice. A 69 Z/28 with a long race history in the Pacific Northwest, and one with Canadian documentation. With the car now being taken apart in my shop, I've been preparing the restoration of this Z/28 with most of the original drive train secured, and have been busy buying other peripherals that were MIA over the years.

A partial restoration of the car will be performed where the original drive line will go back into the car. The rear suspension and roll cage will be kept as a reminder of the cars 44 year long career in Super Stock, and the paint and interior will be freshened before it's put back onto the street after 44 years on the track. The odometer shows 22,700 miles and it's completely rust free from top to bottom and front to rear. The car is also very well known throughout the west, and I will work hard to keep that legacy intact.

My son and I have started a website to outline the work we are doing with the car and I am hoping to have it on the road sometime this summer. The website includes many pictures of the car being raced in Division 6 and has some great shots from the early 1970's right through to 2012 when it was last raced. There is much more coming, but see if you can spot the other legendary cars that it was campaigned against back in the day. The Frizzell Bros "Suddenly" Camaro, Buck Kinney's LS6 Chevelle "Special", Gary Wolosinka's Hemi Cuda "Old Trapper", and Cam Noseworthy's Hemi Dart "Noseworthy" to name just a few. Visit www.x77z28.com to catch more.

I will try and stop in here to post some more pictures when we get rolling along a little further with the car. Thanks for a great resource site. :cool:

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Awesome. Congrats!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Very cool! Congrats. Great website too. I look forward to following along.

·
Premium Member
2,754 Posts
Depending on the year of the one pic, it looks like the late Lee Shepherd's Camaro. Next month is the 30th anniversary of his death-unreal how time goes by.
Thanks for those great pics

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Thanks for sharing Earl. Are you dealing with the original motor & trans or are they long gone due to the 22k miles, a quarter mile at a time?

Also nice to see a Vert Chevelle at the races!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for sharing Earl. Are you dealing with the original motor & trans or are they long gone due to the 22k miles, a quarter mile at a time?

Also nice to see a Vert Chevelle at the races!
The numbers matching block from this car is long gone but may survive somewhere? Kym swapped things around in the mid seventies and sold lots of his parts through swap meets in the PNW. He raced the car from the mid seventies as a 350/255 and this can be seen on the front fenders of the car in the pictures. I think the transmission was blown up a few times as he did experiment with a 427 for a while and told me he broke a lot of stuff while doing so. :yes:

The car does retain its original diff housing which has never left the car but it's been beefed up and will need to come out to be relaxed a bit. The engine I am using is a date correct DZ302 with a suitable date to an 05A car and it is not original to this car. I wanted the car for it's racing pedigree and I am less concerned about matching numbers as I am about keeping it's history intact. There are too many fake cars out there today and I simply wanted a real deal Z with some pedigree behind it.

That to me adds plenty of enjoyment and still allows me to torture it whenever I feel the need.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depending on the year of the one pic, it looks like the late Lee Shepherd's Camaro. Next month is the 30th anniversary of his death-unreal how time goes by.
Thanks for those great pics
That is Lee's car in the far lane and the Yule Bros Camaro (#91) is right behind it. Randy Becker bought this car in 1980 and only had it for a couple years so I am suspecting this was 1982 but will confirm with Randy next time I talk to him. Cool pictures and there are more coming.

Earl

·
Super Moderator
32,355 Posts
Good story and good post. Good luck with the project.
I would protect her character also with honoring the past.
Thanks for the pictures, and I'm sure you've seen a member's post here, Redfox, who has been posting vintage pictures.
Yes you did find the right First Gen Camaro to bring back.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
So very cooool!!!!!!!!!!!

keep us informed.

And thanks for sharing with us this awesome story!!!

GO EARL GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy:beers:

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
You should return it to factory stock :stirpot:

Seriously, though, which version are you going to go for? I'd pick the most famous and get every picture you can of it at that time and restore it back to that.

Very cool find.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A mix of both George :boxing:

I've added some more pictures to the website including some more history of Kym before he retired it from Super Stock after winning Division 6 North in 1978.

·
Registered
795 Posts
While documenting the rich racing history this car has been involved with over the past 44 years, the original color will be passed over in favor of silver w/ black stripes and a stance that resembles the car seen above. It will remain silver for the foreseeable future and everything from the rear clip forward will be put back to stock. It will retain the Super Stock rear ladder bars and mini tubs to serve as a reminder of it's former days on the race track.

I'm thinking I can dig this look even knowing the color and interior will not be original to the build. :)

:pout: :sad: :pout:

Its your car and to each his own. Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Yep, your car to paint it how you want.

If it was MY car, I would use the paint scheme in the pics that have the 350-255 on the front of the fender - 2nd pic.

Was this car originally Rallye Green?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, your car to paint it how you want.

If it was MY car, I would use the paint scheme in the pics that have the 350-255 on the front of the fender - 2nd pic.

Was this car originally Rallye Green?
Yes it is a 79/79 car as seen in the pictures. It was painted silver in the late 80's then stripped to bare metal and done again in 2000. There are still green traces behind the cowl, under the gutter tray sill plates and in the trunk. The cowl hood was dealer installed in 72/73 and it still has green underneath as well.

I might put it back to green in a few years when I plan to replace the floors and the rear suspension which has ladder bars and sub frame connectors tied through the floor along with the cage. I'm going to keep the appearance the way it is for the next few years and perhaps restore it to stock when my son takes it over.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
OK, I am a big Rallye Green fan. :yes:

So the car is Silver now? If so then I understand your thinking on the paint for now.

Good luck and I look forward to updates.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,351 Posts
Hi Earl,
I agree with Bryon.
Congratulations on an Outstanding find.
Good Luck with the restoration. Please keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes Bryon it's silver now. Because the car needs very little on the outside and has an excellent body, I'm going to have some fun with it for a while and leave it the way it now appears. Once I've had a few seasons twisting on it, I'll be tearing it back down with my son and will address the floors to put it right back to stock. With the floors converted back from the current super stock mods, I'll then strip the exterior down and paint it back to Rally Green. I'll also be hunting down some more NOS/Original parts for it and will make it as close to original as humanly possible and plan to pass this one off to my oldest boy.

Life is short...and you gotta have some fun. :)

Earl

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
I agree. Have some fun with it the way it is now! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts