Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 83 camaro with a 350 chevy smallblock and an edelbrock 600 cfm carb settin on top of it. It is a 5 speed in the floor and it runs great...most of the time. It started last weekend when i took a left turn into my bro's driveway. It died. Would turn over but not start. I replaced the coil (hei setup), rotor, and dist. cap. It ran for about 15 feet and died again. I pushed it back and replaced the ignition module. Ran great for two days. I then made another left (i made many left turns beteen these particular turns, i just thought it was eerie) and it died again... Let it set for 5 mins and cranked right up. On the way home i made like 20 left turns and did a few donuts >:). It ran fine. i did clutch it when it when i made the turns. It will start in gear if the clutch is in. There is fire to the coil when it is in "on". I think it may be something to do with a short in the igntion switch?? or did autozone sell me a POS ignition module? I am gonna take it off and get it tested. I did use the white grease, but i dont know if there is another part that makes it intermentintly not work? Any help would be appericiated. Oh and the car came with a 5.0 ltr engine. This is a diff engine in it atm.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
sounds like it needs an exorcism..maybe a pinched wire somewhere or something to do with the fuel or fuel pressure??is it running now??

·
Super Moderator
32,347 Posts
Inside the car, connect a trouble light bulb, it can be a separate two wire socket, to BAT terminal on the HEI dist and ground to see if power is lost while driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like it needs an exorcism..maybe a pinched wire somewhere or something to do with the fuel or fuel pressure??is it running now??
It is running intermentintly, the carb spits fuel and i can spray ether down the throat of it when it messes up and it dosent hit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Inside the car, connect a trouble light bulb, it can be a separate two wire socket, to BAT terminal on the HEI dist and ground to see if power is lost while driving.
Wow, thx i will do that as soon as i can make to the parts warehouse! If i lose power i guess i can run a manual switch for the coil from the batt and it will work?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
The fact that it starts up again after you work on it says you may have a bad contact somewhere. Either the plug from the cap to the module or the plug that goes on the BATT terminal may be flat worn out. They rely solely on spring pressure to make contact. They'll build up corrosion over time and also kinda work their way flat instead of being tensioned so they make good contact. You can go in with a small screwdriver on the back side and press them forward a little to bend them back into shape. They're also available for purchase, at least the power connectors/pigtails are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts