Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
When you shim motor mount plates you can sometimes significantly alter the center to center spacing of the mounts making it difficult for them to line up with the frame mounts. DAMHIK….

Don

·
Registered
900 Posts
Don, I had a feeling there would be some alignment issues. I'm sure you've run into this problem with a LT4 engine, not my field of experience. Again just wondering when doubling up the engine plate........is it feasible to take measurements with the engine out and all the mounts in place so that when welding the spacer plate you adjust the Holly engine mounts a bit lower to compensate for the shim plate?

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I used to have a build thread where I discussed in great detail (sometimes too much) about my difficulties. Now I just provide the ultra-condensed version of my difficulties in these threads that really do not describe anything.

I don't see any other solution but to move the engine up. Moving the engine up will move the AC compressor up and provide me clearance between the compressor and the front suspension A arms. My four link suspension can be adjusted to compensate for the elevated engine angles. The transmission tunnel has been cut so I have plenty of room.

The Holley LT motor mounts required me to drill and tap the subframe. The motor mounts use some of the existing holes in the subframe and Holley requires me to drill and tap extra holes.

Most of the existing holes were utilized on top of the subframe. I did have to drill and tap an extra hole on the top of the subframe. That was no big deal.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Bumper Bicycle part

The Holley motor mounts also fold around the subframe and bolt to the side of the subframe member. I had to drill and tap the side bolts.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust

I just cannot stuff a plate under the subframe part of the motor mount because the side mount motor bolts will no longer line up. I can add a spacer above the subframe part of the motor mount.

I think that I could add a 3/16" spacer plate above the subframe motor mount part. I think this small change will not change the center to center alignment too much. I hope the engine to still line up and bolt on the motor mounts.

Reactions: Vega$69

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
There is a smaller body compressor for Vintage air - Sanden SD7 which might help but might not work with your Holley compressor mount (if that kit doesn't already have the small body compressor).

The drive junky system uses the lower mount AC but not sure what compressor it is in their LT4 set up or how it would fit with the DSE subframe, but guessing you are not in a position where you could return the Holley kit now so it's probably not helpful, he is very responsive to email questions though.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Don, I had a feeling there would be some alignment issues. I'm sure you've run into this problem with a LT4 engine, not my field of experience. Again just wondering when doubling up the engine plate........is it feasible to take measurements with the engine out and all the mounts in place so that when welding the spacer plate you adjust the Holly engine mounts a bit lower to compensate for the shim plate?
Hi Simon. LT4 block engine mount locations are the same as all LT engines. The uniqueness of the LT4 is the different pulley locations etc due to the supercharger. No different than the LSA and LS engines.

Since the engine mount plates are angled and not horizontal shimming them will alter the center to center spacing due to geometry. That being said Patrick is an intelligent resourceful determined guy and I am confident he will make it work. 🙂

Don

Reactions: slazisme

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
There is a smaller body compressor for Vintage air - Sanden SD7 which might help but might not work with your Holley compressor mount (if that kit doesn't already have the small body compressor).

The drive junky system uses the lower mount AC but not sure what compressor it is in their LT4 set up or how it would fit with the DSE subframe, but guessing you are not in a position where you could return the Holley kit now so it's probably not helpful, he is very responsive to email questions though.

Unfortunately, the compressor is a SD7. You know of one that is smaller? :)

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, I am fat and happy.

Here is a closeup photo of the clamshell motor mount. The screwdriver is temporary.

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part

Next weekend I plan to lift the engine with my hoist. Then I will loosen the bolts on the motor mounts and see if shim(s) or plates will work. If not, I will have to reshape the engine part of the mount with new metal.

I bought the Holley front end accessory from a guy on EBay. This FEAD did not fit his car. I have no complaints against the guy. He was honest and straightforward. The following is the reason why he sold the kit:

The reason for selling this kit is because it does not fit in my application (1969 Camaro with a stock subframe and Ridetech coilover suspension. The alternator hits the cross member of the subframe and the A/C compressor interferes with the upper control arm).

·
Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
292 Posts
The reason for selling this kit is because it does not fit in my application (1969 Camaro with a stock subframe and Ridetech coilover suspension. The alternator hits the cross member of the subframe and the A/C compressor interferes with the upper control arm).
…tough to be more honest than that!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts