Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 67 camaro with a Muncie M21 4spd trans. I never had the switch to hook up my back-up lights i've been using a toggle switch under the dash. Now i found out i can still get some of the parts i need. Of course i need the switch which i can't find, if somebody has one they want to sell e-mail me. I'm told i need a rod that hooks to the switch a bracket that holds the switch. Is there anything else i need to do this and how do i do it and what do i do if i don't have the plug that i'm guessing the switch plugs into? Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

·
Registered
278 Posts
RamJam, Rick's catalog has everything you need including the switch and wiring harness. (It is pricey though
)

Hope this helps,
Joe

[This message has been edited by Turbo_Jet (edited 10-31-2002).]

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you are using an aftermarket hurst shifter, they (Hurst) sells a switch that works with it. -Dan

[This message has been edited by 68sixspeed (edited 10-31-2002).]

·
Registered
361 Posts
I bought the Hurst backup switch from Rick's 1st Gen. Part number HCP-7, $24,95.

You won't need to remove the trans to install it. The bracket bolts to the shifter travel stop bolt. When you shift into reverse the shifter rod/lever compresses the switch completing the circuit and turning on the lights. My car was originally an automatic, so I just ran two wires from the original harness to the new switch.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The two wires are pink and light green I think. The pink wire is the feed from the ign switch and the green wire goes to the reverse lights. They get connected to the two terminals on the switch.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to kick the guy in the *** that didn't want to spend the xtra money for the right switch.
I have a toggle switch for the lights now, that is connected to lower part of my dash, what will i have to do? Run the wires up thru hole in floor for shifter and out from under my console?
Then figure out which ones from tog/switch are the right ones for it, it has like 5 wires hooked to it, who knows what that guy did. Thanks guys much appreciate it.
I've had this car a long time but now i want it to be right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can make a bracket that bolts to the rod travel stop bolt and mount a brake lite switch to it. Run your wires from your toggle switch. Works good.....

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Too late for that idea, Thanks though.
I just bought the Hurst switch today at my local speed shop. Same price i would of paid thru catalog but got it right away. Problem is is that i don't know which wires from tog/switch get hooked to it and it came with no instructions just bracket and switch. The 2 prongs on switch say nothing on them about what wires hook where also what gauge wire should i use for this?

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you haven't figured it out already, metal will conduct in either direction. All the mounted switch is doing is closing the circuit. This is exactly what you did when you flipped your toggle switch only instead of you flipping it (or tripping it), the trans now does it. Just hook it up like the toggle switch.
jeff

·
Registered
361 Posts
Jeff's right. Just take those two wires from your toggle switch and hook them up to the new switch. If you connect the two wires you have now the lights should come on. When the new switch is engaged it closes the circuit, connecting the two wires. I just used black speaker wire. Maybe 18 guage.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, Yes I understand about the 2 wires it's just that I have more then 2 wires on the toggle switch i'm going to have to follow them see where they go..

I bought 14ga wire for install. I guess i'll run it up drive-train tunnel thru f/wall connect under dash. Does anyone know how they ran these wires at the factory? Thanks all

People help me with my questions and I help them with their questions; What a concept

1 - 15 of 15 Posts