Team Camaro Tech banner

Ideals rough, bad cold start, surges

710 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  J-Dubb 
#1 ·
I have a 89 IROC with a 350 TPI. The car has a very bad cold start. If I let it sit for 5-8 hours and try to start it, I will drain the battery. It just doesnt fire up untill I jump it. Another problem the engine surges at ideal and also ideals so bad that stalls out even with the ideal all the way up. I can also here a serious vaccum leak. I have changed the gaskets on the tpi unit and sounds like it is coming from the EGR valve. I have taken two things off the car that have effected the, that is the catalytic converter and the theromstat. If anyone can help me I would realy appreciate it.

#2 ·
sounds to me like you aready have it narrowed down. I would replace hoses that are more than likely bad and see about the egr gasket or maybe the egr itself is leaking. What I do is unhook the hose from it and reach under and compress the diaphram and with it compressed put your finger or a plug on the hose connection and let go. If it holds it is not leaking but the gasket may have worn out. Vacuum leaks can cause all kinds of problems so check your hoses for cracks etc.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth

#3 ·
I checked the egr and it holds. Also I put a new heat sensor on the egr, because there wasn't one, but I there is no plug for it, I can't find one. Also I have headers and someone told me if I have headers and took the cat off, it would mess up the computer. Is this true?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.